Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Problem with snap action distance

matthyuz
Apparently the snap action distance is a few mm and is not proportional to the current zoom.
To explain better, draw a rectangle of 1mm x 1mm (zoom beam to occupy quite a screen). Activate endpoint snap. Also activate free snap.
As you can see you can't draw a line that starts somewhere other than the corners of the rectangle. It will only be possible if you go too far away (so you don't see the rectangle in detail). This is independent of whether you enable or disable free snap.
Now it deletes everything.
Try doing the same thing but with a 100mm x 100mm rectangle (make it occupy the same proportion of the screen as the previous rectangle).
In this case it's easy to draw a line near the corners that is not taken by the snap.
Apparently, as I said at the beginning, the distance at which the snap is currently fixed, I estimate about 5 mm, and does not depend on the zoom level. This makes it really impossible to make drawings of a few mm.
I looked through the options and couldn't find a way to change this distance.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it the desired behavior?
Thank you very much.

Matías
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Problem with snap action distance

dellus
When trying to reproduce this behaviour in 2.1.3 and in 2.2.0 rc, I first thought I had it too. But it seemed to be erratically and I got it also with the 100mm rectangle, sometimes.
The probable reason: in the 2.2.0 series, if you press the space bar to activate the command line for input, the free snap gets deactivated, and with the next space bar action activated again, and so on. This is a bug or at least a bad system.
Is this the answer?
Reply | Threaded
|

matthyuz
Nothing seems to change when you press the space bar (you can see that the free snap turns on and off, but the problem persists).
The only way I find to be able to make small drawings, is to make them to a larger scale (say 100x) and shrink it once finished (scale 0.01x). It's a little uncomfortable but it works and allows you to work without getting irritated.
I suppose that the free snap should be activated at a distance no greater than 10 mm (physical distance on the screen, regardless of the zoom level) and that this "active distance" can be configured. It would also be useful (it's just a suggestion), if several snaps are within that "active region" that it is possible to exchange which one captures the pointer, by pressing a key (for example TAB).

Matías
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Hmm, can't reproduce your problem then. Anyone else got the same trouble?
You could provide a sample file with one 1mm rectangle where you have the issue. I could test it then if it behaves the same on my system. Maybe it's some setting in your drawing.
Reply | Threaded
|

ag123
In reply to this post by matthyuz
i think partly it is due to the endpoint snap, what i did as a workaround is to turn on the grids and grid snap
in that way i can draw objects based on the grid.
so i'd normally have to turn on and off endpoint snap where it don't seem to do what i want
i.e. i turn that on if i wanted to do a endpoint snap, and rather often i have both endpoint and grid on and use them so long as as they seem to work adequately
Reply | Threaded
|

matthyuz
The comment of ag123 helped me to find a behavior that seems very strange to me:
Apparently, activating and deactivating the grid makes the pointer's "capture distance" adapt to the current zoom. Just to be clear:
If the current zoom is such that the rectangle of 1 x 1 occupies the whole screen and being activated free snap and final snap I can only choose endpoints and no other point, just activating and deactivating the grid solves the problem; it allows you to select points that are not just the corners of the rectangle, and when you get close enough the pointer is captured by the end snap.
But if we now make the rectangle of 100 x 100 occupy the whole screen, the "capture distance" was very small, so that the pointer is trapped by the final snap must be approached very precisely to the corners. Again, activating and deactivating the grid causes the capture distance to be updated.
I hope you understand the explanation, otherwise I can try to record a video where you see this behavior.
Is it the same for anyone?
My version is 2.2.0-rc1.

Matías
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
When I first experimented after your inquiry I thought I experienced it had to do with grid on/off. But as I could not reproduce it anymore I believed it to be a wrong track.
Experimenting further now I had it again. There is a grid on/off setting in Current Drawing Preferences also besides of in the main toolbars. If it's off there when starting LC the bad behavior seems to happen. But I am not sure about the exact circumstances. Maybe it's not worth the effort to find out, as to toggle the grid on/off seems to cure it.