classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trim two

Bryon
Hi.
When trying to use Trim two; at the prompt I choose the first limiting entry (always a line in the work I do). At the prompt to choose the second limiting entry both "limiting entries" lengthen and become "de-selected".
Any thoughts are appreciated.

B R May
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trim two

dellus
With "Trim two" no limiting entities are asked for, only the two lines which have to meet. So everything works as it should.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bryon
In reply to this post by Bryon
Re: My question on "Trim two", I may have mis-stated. I'd like to clarify.
Let's say I have a line drawn on an x axis. There are also two lines drawn across the y axis and each one crosses the x axis line, close to, but not at, the opposite ends of the x axis line.
My goal is to trim the portion of the x axis line that is between these two y axis lines.
The program does prompt me to select the first trim entity. I do so and the first vertical (y axis) line is selected.
I'm then prompted to select the second trim entity. When I do so both y axis lines extend and both are de-selected.
If this is not the purpose of trim two why am I asked to pick a first trim entity and then asked to pick the second trim entity only to have both y axis extend and become de-selected. if I wanted to extend these lines I would simply go to extend on the appropriate tool bar. Trim two implies that two separate selections are to be made which is exactly what I was prompted to do.
Thanks for your indulgence with my ignorance on this subject.

Bryon
Reply | Threaded
|

perepujal
Trim Two is meant to extend/shorten two non-parallel lines to make them meet at their intersection.

What you want to do, if I understood right, is not implemented in LibreCAD, the closest way I can imagine is::
Divide the Xline at the intersections with the limiting Y lines then remove the part(s) of it you don't want, all in all some more clicks.

HTH
Pere
Reply | Threaded
|

Bryon
Thank you Pere, that's how I handled it from the get go.
With all due respect Dellus is incorrect when he states that Librecad doesn't ask for a first limiting entry or a second limiting entry in Trim two. It does, at least on the version I am running (2.2), which is the reason for my confusion.
In case I was seeing things I asked my wife to take a look. She verified that both a "select first limiting entry" followed by "select second limiting entry" are indeed the prompts.
BTW, you can also use a rectangle or a circle to accurately accomplish trimming a "section" of an object.
Thanks to all either way.
Reply | Threaded
|

Bryon
In reply to this post by Bryon
BTW, the prompts are, "select first trim entity" and "select second trim entity". Not "limiting entity" as I said in my original post.

Thanks again.