classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Which printer?

Scribbler
Hello,

I was getting on very nicely with LIbreCAD until I came to print something.
I am running Debian Wheezy (Testing) and have a Canon PIXMA MP600 all-in-one printer.
I know it's not the best combination but using the closed source TurboPrint driver I usually get excellent results.

Not with LibreCAD though...
Print preview comes up at first with scale 1:1 and shows nothing. If I change the scale to 1:25 I get a good fit for a drawing which fills an A4 sheet.

But on printing I only get a very small corner of the drawing on paper... I.e. not what the preview shows

I would be grateful for any suggestions as to what might be wrong.

Could it be that a printer from another manufacturer, one well supported under Linux, would give better results?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which printer?

Scribbler
Hi,

I'm replying to my own question here. I wanted to edit it but that does not seem to work.

I discovered that my print problems only occur when I try to print a .DXF file created in another CAD program (DeltaCAD)
Something I have drawn in LibreCAD prints OK on my system.

Nevertheless any comments on this situation would be gratefully received.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Which printer?

hsrai
In reply to this post by Scribbler
Scribbler wrote
Print preview comes up at first with scale 1:1 and shows nothing. If I change the scale to 1:25 I get a good fit for a drawing which fills an A4 sheet.
If you print to file and have pdf, then what are the results. If pdf looks OK, then take print of that PDF. Else send us sample file.
--
H.S.Rai
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Interpreting DXF (was: Which printer?)

Scribbler
hsrai,

Thanks for your reply.
I have tried printing to PDF with various scale factors ranging from 1:1 to 1:25. The nearer I get to 1:25 the more of the drawing appears in the print but the smaller it gets (even looking at it with the PDF viewer set to 400% it's tiny though it is complete!).

But as I said in my second post above - the files which give this printing problem are not created in LibreCAD, but exported as DXF version 2010 from another CAD program. I have also discovered that DXF files are plain ASCII which can be edited in a text editor (I didn't know that  !). I have also downloaded the DXF 2010 specification. So with a bit of study and testing I might be able to figure out what's going on here.

Nevertheless any tips to help out, or warnings, would be very welcome!
Reply | Threaded
|

Stevem
I am having the same problem, I exported the file as a jpg and printed it like that but the quality is not good.  I still get only the corner of the drawing when I print or print into PDF.  I have no clue why this is happening
Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
Some further questions:

1. what operating system are you using?

2. What LibreCAD version are you using - is it the latest release, 2.0.0beta5?

3. Can you post an example test case here on the forum for testing?