Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Why Professional CAD user cannot use LibreCAD as commercial purpose

MrCAD
Although it is admirable that the developers of a LibreCAD software, made an efforts for community.

It can be understand at some extent that developers are not 'Pro' CAD users.
However, the efforts will go into the vain, if its not developed according to standard need (at least). Commercial standards is not concern here at all but Ideal for Printing and Academic project purpose where more time consumption is not a concern.  

For example, many open source software is very brilliant with their alternatives such as Blender with 3DS Max / Maya, Inkscape with Adobe Illustrator, and GIMP with Photoshop

In conclusion, see the image below in which the very simple drawing takes minutes to complete in LibreCAD, whereas the same drawing can be complete with seconds in AutoCAD or CorelCAD.

The proverb is best fit to LibreCAD is SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Why Professional CAD user cannot use LibreCAD as commercial purpose

fa201
In my opinion, it depends what you put into 'needs': free software, zero cost software, independance for governance, productivity, etc. ? My experience in using free software is that productivity is usually not priority 1.
I do not believe that the goal of LibreCAD is to challenge big names of 2D CAD market. If you need such productivity then it just requires to buy a licence...
Fabrice

French hobbyist interested in 2D design.
Reply | Threaded
|

MrCAD
Productivity is not concern as I said, "Commercial standard is not a concern"

I am just comparing other Open-source software that how they satisfy the need of alternatives compare to the Proprietary softwares.

If you are developer/contributor you may know about other Open-source software such as

Blender
GIMP
Inkscape
Scribus
LibreOffice
 which is indeed an alternatives, can be use to great extent as 'commercial license' like packages.

Here I did not criticized the efforts but it should be meet at least basic functionality.

In any other 2D commercial licensed softwares includes 3D modeling, Parametric features in 2D drawings, Special workflows for specific task such as MEP, HVAC, BIM (Engineering terms) and so on. Which can be acceptable to NOT include in FOSS like LibreCAD.

Hope to get my opinion. This should be taken as suggestion, not a negative reviews.

Reply | Threaded
|

zamtmn
Good day!
Things that are required for serious use will never appear in the 2.x branch. Need to wait 3.x or fork qcad again((
And performance here is in the first place, which can be said if it is immediately clear that it will be impossible to work with any complex drawing
Reply | Threaded
|

jtm2020hyo
In reply to this post by MrCAD
I have one request for use librecad 3 as commmercial design software:

+3D drawing lines similar to autocad

For more complex design I need:

+Support for regular and dynamic blocks with attribute definition
+Autolisp with openDCL
+Multi view windows and tabs
+external reference support

For complement a BIM workflow:

+Librecad's plugins for draw in other software such as freecad or blender, similar to grasshoppers or dynamo or pyflow.

For do LibreCAD a BIM program:

Convert LibreCAD 3 in a fork of AutoCAD MEP,  with all their features, but with fixed errors and more features.

Reply | Threaded
|

jtm2020hyo
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by MrCAD
LibreCAD maybe might be profitable if they add ads in the forum, open a patreon is another options, donations, create a kickstarter project, create tutorials in social media with ads, all this for pay to our LC developers, with this we might have more features.
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
jtm2020hyo wrote
LibreCAD maybe might be profitable if they add ads in the forum, open a patreon is another options, donations, create a quickstarter project, create tutorials in social media with ads, all this for pay to our LC developers, with this we might have more features.
True, and we have had that! But to ensure you can geta developer working n something you need loads of money. Then you need to have the time and resources to ensure the money flow is correctly handled.
I have checked that out here in holland and ideally for a non profit we needed to have 3 people overseeing the non profit organisation, something that at the time was differcult to get by.

The projects mentioned by MrCAD are hugely backed by large set of users and companies, specially blender.
Unfortunately LiberCAD is not yet??? (companies, where are you???) in that position.

With LibreCAD 3 we do have been putting ourselve in a better position to integration with other libraries.

Reply | Threaded
|

jtm2020hyo
...but why LibreCAD forum do not use ads? ads are underrated, remember that Flappy Bird's reported $50,000 dollars per day of advertising.
Reply | Threaded
|

R. van Twisk
Administrator
jtm2020hyo wrote
...but why LibreCAD forum do not use ads? ads are underrated, remember that Flappy Bird's reported $50,000 dollars per day of advertising.
The issue is money and handling taxes. So it´s best for LibreCAD to create a non-profit and at least at the time not possible to create by one person (me) and there where no different persons from Holland (where I live) to be part of the non profit.