classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

dissapearing library

mdanbury
Hi,

I was using Librecad last week to uypdate some drawings and went back to do some more work today but discoverd that all my library except for a few items created of the 25/6/2016 have disappeared.  Below is the library list that Librecad showxs anmd that should be there.  If you cliclk on any file librecad just opens a blanks drawing.  If I use windows file manager to look at the same location (programs files/librecad/resources/library/misc then only the files from 25/6/2016 show up.  

Any ideas, the PC hasn't been used for anything since I last used Librecad last week.

Any ideas what has happened?

Kind regards

mike
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: dissapearing library

dellus
No idea. So the LibreCAD opening box shows files that do not exist? Bad drive? Corrupted files? Can you find temporary back-up files, those with # or ~ ? You might search for the lost files with a recovery tool like "PC Inspector File Recovery". Or inspect with a Linux Live system.
Have you had any results meanwhile? Sorry for not being able to help more.
Reply | Threaded
|

PatB
I have the same.
Librecad can see file and folder that are no longer there.
I deleted them.
It looks like Librecad create a duplicate file system somewhere and uses it.
Even if it shows the actual path of the library.
In a way it retains old files.
Restarted the software many times.

Double files system
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Not LibreCAD, but Windows creates the duplicates.

With introduction of enhanced user access control (UAC) in Vista, Windows got a mechanism to avoid errors for applications which store and modify files in program folder.
With default settings, when libraries are in the program folder, LibreCAD does so.

UAC grants only read access for program folder to applications.
When an application writes to a file in program folder, like an INI file or in this case C:\Program Files (x86)\LibreCAD\resources\library\ Windows creates a virtual store in user space.
So look at C:\Users\YOUR USERNAME\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\LibreCAD\resources\library\, there you will find the ghost files.
New created files are in virtual store only, modified files are found in both places. The original file from installation in C:\Program Files (86)\ and the modified one in the users virtual store.
Windows manages that you get the correct files from within the application.

But this applies only, when the application is not run in administrator mode.
When the application is started as administrator UAC is disabled and then only the files from C:\Program Files (86)\ are visible for the application.

Best option is to move the library somewhere to the user folder with write access and change the library path in application preferences.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

PatB
I was coming back to searching for those files...
Your answer was faster and enligthening.

Thanks you.