Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
15 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

.dxf files open with Libre office draw?

Ivanother
hello all, I've been trying to make my dxf files open with librecad by default. But I can't get this seemingly simple change to work?
I change the default programme to LibreCAD and it changes back to Libre Office Draw automatically.
Its not a deal breaker, just annoying.
.dwg files open in LibreCAD with no issues.

please help or just let me know that I won't work..

Many thanks in advance...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: .dxf files open with Libre office draw?

ahmadraniri
used to do "properties >> open with >> librecad", and for the next it wiil be default opener.
may be there are some way to make librecad as default opener.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ivanother
yeah that's what I thought, but its not working.
Neither is setting the default program/app to open .dfx files to LibreCAD through the default settings route

the 'normal' methods do not seem to be working for me.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
What is your operating system?
LibreCAD version?
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Ivanother
Windows 10 home - 1803
LibreCAD 2.1.3

Reply | Threaded
|

Ivanother
Hi, I don't seem to be getting far with this issue, so I downloaded AutoCAD mobile just to check that I was not missing something simple.
I can now change the default programme for .dxf files form AutoCAD to LOdraw with ease, but I still cannot change it to LibreCAD.
So I can only assume that its an issue with the software

Looks like I'm going to have to go with the 'open with' route to open them from the file folder.

AutoCAD mobile has now been deleted, so their back to opening with LibreOffice Draw from the folder.

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator

Ivanother wrote
So I can only assume that its an issue with the software
Sure, it's a software issue, but which software is the question

So when you double click a dxf file in Windows explorer, it's the explorers or Windows decision which application to use.
And when the explorer uses Libre Office Draw, LibreCAD is not involved in this process.

I have no access to Windows 10, I can't estimate where the problem could be.
But when I start a web search, I get a bunch of similar issues on Windows 10 with other software too.
The common factor is Windows 10, so I come to the conclusion that Windows is the cause.
There also seems to be solutions, but I can't say if they apply to your issue, as I can't test it.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

ubiquitous
In reply to this post by Ivanother
It is almost certainly a Windows 10 issue (especially 1803) where Microsoft seems consistently to alter (reset) some default programs with each update. I am almost convinced it is part of a marketing ploy to lure the unwary into using the App Store to source software (consistent with the current ethos that for consumers "mobile" is where it's at).
Like you, I have failed to make this change, also with .dwg files. I did manage to change .dxf opening from Irfanview (64 bit) to BabaCAD (also 64 bit) and to (finally) get LibreCAD into the 'open with' menu list but 2 hours of making the changes from several points, followed by restarts, have failed dismally.
I have had the issue with other software prior to 1803 and succeeded but not since the advent of 1803.
I am gradually moving my use of open source software to Linux and mainly using  Windows for software that will run on nothing else.
If I find a solution in my wanderings I will certainly post it.
Reply | Threaded
|

pricemob48
Interesting additional information on this one.
I have been using a laptop with Windows 10 Pro 1803 and LibreCad 2.1.3 with no issues, I purchased a new Laptop on the weekend which has Windows 10 Home 1803 and I have downloaded LibreCAD 2.1.3 on that laptop.
I can change file associations on the old laptop with Windows 10 Pro but not on the new laptop. When I go to
Start/Settings Apps and Features/Default apps/choose default apps by file type and scroll down to.dxf, I have two options with .dxf
1 is .dxf AutoCAD File. Windows wont accept the change to LibreCAD and stays on LibreDraw
2 is .dxf~  DXF~File  Which is associated with LibreCAD

The windows 10 Pro laptop only has 1 option for .dxf and that is labelled DXF file

It's a pain in the proverbial as some of the LibreCAD files are showing as LibreDraw which forces me into the "open with" solution.
I have another issue with the change of laptop and that is when I try to open a LibrCad dwg, a popup message appears" Cannot open the file (file location)  Please check its existence and permission." Its existence is correct as i can open LibreCAD and then open the file from the file menu

Thoughts?
Reply | Threaded
|

ubiquitous
ghacks.net has reported that Microsoft has know acknowledged the File Association issue is a bug in some versions of Windows 10 1803 and 1809, affecting a variety of applications  This was apparently announced on Nov 9th with the expectation that a fix will be incorporated in a "late November" update.
As it is now early December perhaps the problem will go away soon: then again who knows when and what Microsoft will actually do.
Reply | Threaded
|

pricemob48
Further update.
I upgraded the new laptop to Windows 10 Pro 1803 last night. No change to the problem though. Looks like we will need to persevere until Microsoft comes up with the fix ubiquitous has noted. Frustrating? Sure is!
Reply | Threaded
|

tituschirila
My LO draw (ver. 6.2.1.3) opens DXF version 2004 or earlier, did not test otherwise. Only thing is I did not find a way to modify inside the rectangle that defines the borders of it. It is imported as vectorial image but I did not find a way to explode. So it can be stretched, rotated, re positioned but as an indivisible object. If you want something like 2D Autocad, Draftsight free edition is the best I could find as free without being hacked. Works on last version of W10 64bit.
Reply | Threaded
|

ubiquitous
LibreCAD is fine for opening the .dxf files the issue here is that Windows 10 (version 1803) does not seem to like "apps" that don't come from the Windows store as default applications. Microsoft's world seems more and more to revolve around mobile and cloud.
Thank heavens for Linux and other open source software!
Reply | Threaded
|

pricemob48
Hi all

it appears Microsoft have addressed the problem with their latest update. I have just downloaded the latest update and the file association in settings and it works as it should.

Reply | Threaded
|

Ivanother
All sorted...
It wasn't me being thick, updated to windows 10 version 1809 and the file association works once again.

Many thanks for all of the views and helpful comments.

I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas (If that's your thing )
And a happy new year..

All of the Best

Phill