Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

scaling dimensions

PattyY
Hi, I am rekindling old CAD skills and LibreCAD has been awesome. I do architectural applications and I recently ran into a problem I can't find during a search on this forum. I do my drawings in separate .dxf files and draw 1 to 1. I insert those files on a ARCH D page that is 24"x36" landscape. Back in AutoCAD I would use an XREF (external reference) to plot the drawings on the page at usually 1/4 scale (1/4"= 1') I am in the US. I have not found a way to apply an XREF in LibreCAD. I can insert the drawing as a block and then scale it to 1/48 (the ratio to get 1/4 scale). This works fine except the dimensions change from a room being say 10 feet by 20 feet to the dimension changing to the real life on the page dimension of say 1 inch by 2 inches.  For Architectural applications what has everyone been doing to work around this problem?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: scaling dimensions

dellus
There is no XREF equivalent in LibreCAD. You have to make a frame 48 times the size of ARCH D (24"x36"). You may save this as a library file. Into this you draw or copy the architectural drawing, drawn 1 to 1. Or copy/import the frame into the drawing... how ever you see it.
Then at the printing process, in Print Preview mode, you set the scale 1/48. And print staying in that mode. Same applies to export to pdf.

Reply | Threaded
|

PattyY
Thank you. I had someone suggest that but he doesn't do CAD and I thought he was nuts! :-).

I will do that, thank you so much for the timely response. I will now go tell my husband he was right. LOL

An XREF mode would be a great add on to LibreCAD
Reply | Threaded
|

FlaSundog
In reply to this post by PattyY
I know, it's an old thread, but I'm new to LibreCAd and having fun.  Here goes...

I draw everything at actual size, i.e. 1:1.  

Afterwards I determine what scale is needed for the Title Block of the drawing.  Usually, one has an idea of what the scale of the block will need to be, if not I draw a rectangle of approximate size to determine it.  

Then I insert my ANSI spec title block and scale it as required.  Now I know what my scale factor is so I can adjust dimension settings and text sizes to conform with ANSI standards for the title block size, and the I plot the drawing per my final scale i.e. 1:4, typically, on an HP roll size pen plotter.

Unfortunately, with LibreCAD, inserting and scaling is a two-step process, or I have yet to discover it along with many other nuances.  Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.  As I said, "I'm new".

Insert and scaling works well for me as I have old AutoCAD libraries of hardware such as nuts and bolts drawn with a dimension of one inch on a primary dimension. So if I need a 1/4 inch hex nut, I insert the block and scale to .25.  My block is "nested" and contains a side view also so when initially exploded, I get a separate block of the top view and the side view which can then be moved separately and exploded further if needed to trim views or adjust views.

Your results may vary...