Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
17 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

suggestion for dimensions options

claus82
Hello, it's been a while, but it seems that I found a job, at least for a couple of months.
I've got a couple of suggestions for developers concerning dimensions.
Considering the fact that ttf are not supported and entities are not selectable by sort:
1 - A "COMMA/DOT" option for unities would be very useful.
2 - A "TEXT THICKNESS" option would also be helpful, see image result below, I've put for example the text thickness 0.6 and the lines thickness 0.18.

Obviously lines' thickness is editable by the layers window, so it would be enough just add the text thickness option in the preferences dialogues.
3 - Fixed dimensions lines lenght would also be great and might save a lot of time
Let me know what do you think and if it is possible add those three option I suggested. Thanks a lot
Cheers
Claus
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: suggestion for dimensions options

dellus
I also think fixed dimension lines length is needed. It is a must have for architectural purposes and probably not too difficult to code.
In this context continued dimensions as well are obligatory, might be a bigger effort, though.

Regards

dellus
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Please add details here.

dellus wrote
I also think fixed dimension lines length is needed. It is a must have for architectural purposes and probably not too difficult to code.
In this context continued dimensions as well are obligatory, might be a bigger effort, though.

Regards

dellus
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus

In architectural drawings, at least in Germany/Europe, it is not usual for the extension lines to get near to the meant point, but as shown in the image for example, to stay outside of the floorplan and all in the row to have the same length. People in the business will in most cases understand which points are meant.
In commercial architecture-cad programs you can draw a multi-point dimensionline in one stroke by selecting the according points one after the other. You have to tell the selection to be finished by an "enter" command or something like that. It then is one object. Also this way you do not need extra procedures for two-point and multipoint dimension lines.
May be some day we will have these features in librecad.

regards
dellus

Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Hi there guys,
concerning my request dellus caught the point: this feature request is not a caprice at all, it is a matter of readability for architects and pros.
In those years I was not able to esxpress myself, I'm a terrible communcator!
About the multipoint dimension feature anyway, I think it is not a must, but would help for sure!
See ya in the forum, cheers!
Claus
...the problem is not the problem, the problem is your aptitude about the problem...
Reply | Threaded
|

Rallaz
Hi Claus & Dellus.

You are right, the dimensions must be more flexible.

See this screenshot:

I think these are the minimum options that need to be.

Line width are ready to use, compile the source for use, or wait for a new daily update

Cheers, Rallaz
Reply | Threaded
|

Rallaz
And fixed length for linear & alingned dims are ready.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Hurray, we have got fixed dimension line extensions!
Thank you very much, Rallaz. This was my most urgent wish. I will keep back with other wishes for a while.
Regarding line thickness I think the enhancements are not exactly what Claus has requested. I think he wanted to simulate the boldness of a ttf-font by thickening up the number compared to the dimensioning lines.
But I am happy for now,

regards dellus
Reply | Threaded
|

Rallaz
About line thickness:

I used this approach for dxf compatibility.
If you set the width for dimensions to 0.6 and change dimension lines width in options to 0.18 the result is exactly as screenshot added by Claus.

Cheers,
Rallaz
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Hi guys!
Thanks a lot Rallaz, this is is a feature that will give a real possibility to pros like architect to choose LC as a good resource, because a big project has many dimensions, consequently it would have been very hard to set up each dimension, before.
Unfortunately although I tried to code, I realized that I cannot code anything, but I'll find somehow a good way to say "thanks".
Thanks again Rallaz.
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli

No problem.

We have Rallaz as our CAD expert, and several other developers, but still need help from experienced Cad users.

The most important, we are happy making a good 2d CAD.

claus82 wrote
Hi guys!
Thanks a lot Rallaz, this is is a feature that will give a real possibility to pros like architect to choose LC as a good resource, because a big project has many dimensions, consequently it would have been very hard to set up each dimension, before.
Unfortunately although I tried to code, I realized that I cannot code anything, but I'll find somehow a good way to say "thanks".
Thanks again Rallaz.
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Happy to know that dxli!
Cheers
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

Rallaz
In reply to this post by claus82
> Thanks again Rallaz.

It is nothing, but.. already owe me two beers :-D

Seriously, you have work to do (if you have time):
Test, test & bug report

Mainly with line weight, colors, fixed length, units & precision.

And with the next daily build Decimal separator & text style.

Zero supresion are unimplemented.

Cheers,
Rallaz
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Ahahah!
Holiday's coming, just come here, and yo'll have all the beers you want!

Ok, I guess test would have been about that, I'll try to do my best!
See you!
Cla
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Rallaz
Hi Rallaz,
I did not expect arrows and ticks to comprise the main dimension line. Now after having tried it out I can confirm it works as you said. Terminology in dimensioning can be confusing, what is what.

Sorry for complaining,

dellus  
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
@dellus,
just check Rallaz pic above to undertand!
bye
Claus
Reply | Threaded
|

claus82
Wow, you've added text style and comma/dot!
Just noticed because I'm trying to do some testing here at work!
Cheers
Cla