Qt Version: 5.11.3
Boost Version: 1.66.0

Create a new drawing - just two objects:
set snap on grid
draw a line: 2 points 0,100 100,70  
draw a circle: Center, Point 0,100 100,100
# Line and circle intersect (visually)
set snap on grid off, set snap Intersection on
#Try to draw a line starting at the intersection of line and circle.
# Zoom in (quite some way).
# The starting point will appear over the line but off the circle circumfence  by 0.0189 units.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug with Line and Circle Intersection, mismatch on snap Intersection

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Many thanks for elaborating and reporting this.

I wouldn't go this far and call it a bug.
As you recognized yourself, you have to zoom in really deep to see this.
This gap is way beyond a line width on printings or a realistic production tolerance.

My first thought was a tolerance issue, as floating point math in computers is far away from exactness.

Then I trimmed the line by the circle and checked the entities with the list plugin.
Both are listed correct, the trimmed line length was 100.00 and the radius too.
And there was the same gap between the line end and the circle.

Now I created a square around the circle. It touches the circle on all 4 poles at 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° without any gap, even on deep zoom in. Also the grid was fine with the circle's circumference at the 4 poles.

At least I rotated the square by the angle of the line. This showed me, that the end of the line is the correct position, because the square hits the line end and not the circle.

More rotating brought me to the conclusion that the circle is drawn with some tolerance. Every 45° the circle match fine with the square. In between, at 22.5° the gap reach its peak with 0.02.
Iirc, the cosine/sine methods, which apply for these kind of math, are simple tables under the hood. This may explain this effect.

So finally its a tolerance issue from painting engine or how the painting engine computes the pixel from circle data (center, radius), but I can't say from memory who is responsible for this at least. I assume that we don't compute entity pixels positions inside LibreCAD, this would be done in a 3rd party library.

I can't see a reasonable solution for this issue. Reaching out for more accuracy will impact the performance or bring other drawbacks, if it is possible at all.

Anyway a nice catch to show difference between theory and practice.

And here, as a picture is worth a thousand words

investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
HPS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Bug with Line and Circle Intersection, mismatch on snap Intersection

HPS

Thank you for the detailed information.

I did some geometrical drawings and was surprised to see a tangent not in it's place.

This was noticeable at a moderate zooming factor. That is, one drawing unit resolution across the canvas.

To snap onto the 'right' point, I zoomed in further and got to the two entities in two places were I expected them

in one place.

(Actually in my case I had two circles, two tangents intersecting in one point and this 'point' shows up as rectangle.)

I agree, that for practical purposes, printing at a high scale, those deviations are irrelevant.  

However dealing with drawings where a higher resolution closeup is required, printing the details might

become problem.

I propose to change this 'bug' into a feature request to add an adjustable drawing preference:

'Re-calculate nonlinear objects (circle,  .. ) representation with higher precision when using high zoom-in factors.'     

It keeps the entity representation exact within the representation space 

and it allows precise printing at lower scale factors. 

Add a selection:  Representation precision increases when zooming in.

Alt.: I suppose an additional entry in - Drawing Preferences - Splines Tab:

Number of segments per circle _____    could do the job too. 

Thank you again.

HP

Am 06.03.19 um 16:30 schrieb LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD]:
Many thanks for elaborating and reporting this.

I wouldn't go this far and call it a bug.
As you recognized yourself, you have to zoom in really deep to see this.
This gap is way beyond a line width on printings or a realistic production tolerance.

My first thought was a tolerance issue, as floating point math in computers is far away from exactness.

Then I trimmed the line by the circle and checked the entities with the list plugin.
Both are listed correct, the trimmed line length was 100.00 and the radius too.
And there was the same gap between the line end and the circle.

Now I created a square around the circle. It touches the circle on all 4 poles at 0°, 90°, 180° and 270° without any gap, even on deep zoom in. Also the grid was fine with the circle's circumference at the 4 poles.

At least I rotated the square by the angle of the line. This showed me, that the end of the line is the correct position, because the square hits the line end and not the circle.

More rotating brought me to the conclusion that the circle is drawn with some tolerance. Every 45° the circle match fine with the square. In between, at 22.5° the gap reach its peak with 0.02.
Iirc, the cosine/sine methods, which apply for these kind of math, are simple tables under the hood. This may explain this effect.

So finally its a tolerance issue from painting engine or how the painting engine computes the pixel from circle data (center, radius), but I can't say from memory who is responsible for this at least. I assume that we don't compute entity pixels positions inside LibreCAD, this would be done in a 3rd party library.

I can't see a reasonable solution for this issue. Reaching out for more accuracy will impact the performance or bring other drawbacks, if it is possible at all.

Anyway a nice catch to show difference between theory and practice.

And here, as a picture is worth a thousand words

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Bug-with-Line-and-Circle-Intersection-mismatch-on-snap-Intersection-tp5717031p5717032.html
To unsubscribe from Bug with Line and Circle Intersection, mismatch on snap Intersection, click here.
NAML