Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Changing MText box size

Nigel Vincent
Than you first everyone for supporting LibreCAD, I am 20 pages of text into writing Manual so I can understand program and hopefully will then have something to send in.

With Mtest inserted into a drawing it initially has a box around the text but I can find no way to change the column of text width to say 3000mm wide in scale 1:100 drawing.  Some other programs have a ruler.

Am I miss something?  Is there a work around?

Thank you again.
Nigel
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Changing MText box size

dellus
I do not get a box around the text initially. Or do you mean the input box? Anyway, there is no way to limit the width of a text column automatically, you will have to take care of this manually by breaking the line with "Enter".  As LibreCAD is not a text processing program something like a ruler would be a luxury feature. Advanced commercial programs might have this.
Curious for your manual...
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Nigel Vincent
Ah, sorry. Are you talking about a LC 3 development version? Then all I have said may be nonsense.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nigel Vincent
No you were correct, I am not into LC 3 development yet.  Still getting a handle on LibreCAD 2D.   Thank you for replying.

The only work around I thought of was to open MText; type the letters of the alphabet in the font and size I want; insert into drawing; draw a vertical line from insert point, offset line (in this case) 3000mm showing the letter place where the text column needs to end. Delete the rest of the alphabet and I have a line of text (my own text ruler so to speak) I can now insert the text I want under this to the width I want and lastly delete the part alphabet (the ruler) and locate the column of text in the drawing.  Bit of juggling the first time but can copy the text around the drawing and place on to my drawing template for future drawings.  I suppose this explanation is something else to add to the proposed manual I am working on!  I hope this helps others.
Regards Nigel

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM, dellus [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ah, sorry. Are you talking about a LC 3 development version? Then all I have said may be nonsense.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Changing-MText-box-size-tp5714733p5714739.html
To unsubscribe from Changing MText box size, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
OK, now I understand what you mean. The problem is that you don't see it live on the screen during typing how it will look, only after inserting. As a workaround you could draw a text box of your 3000 mm width first, maybe on a different layer. Then do your MText without any line breaking and insert it into the box. You will then see where it flows over the border. Open the text again with modify - properties and in the input window insert a line breaking with 'Enter' after the last letter that is within the box. Proceed so on, as you now will see where to insert the next line breaking.
I'm not sure if 'line breaking ' is the correct term in English. I guess you know what I mean.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Nigel Vincent
Thank you for spending additional time thinking about this, it is a well thought out answer.  I am sure your reply will assist many it certainly assists me!

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 10:45 AM, dellus [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
OK, now I understand what you mean. The problem is that you don't see it live on the screen during typing how it will look, only after inserting. As a workaround you could draw a text box of your 3000 mm width first, maybe on a different layer. Then do your MText without any line breaking and insert it into the box. You will then see where it flows over the border. Open the text again with modify - properties and in the input window insert a line breaking with 'Enter' after the last letter that is within the box. Proceed so on, as you now will see where to insert the next line breaking.
I'm not sure if 'line breaking ' is the correct term in English. I guess you know what I mean.  

http://forum.librecad.org/Changing-MText-box-size-tp5714733p5714743.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
I moved this thread to the LibreCAD-user sub forum to avoid further irritations with LC3 development.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Nigel Vincent
To LordOfBikes:

I am now up to page 75 in formulating a LibreCAD Manual.  Where should I send the manual as it will need checking before making it is made available for everyone?

The video on Trim (3 minutes) found at https://youtu.be/aPyby0npx2Q shows towards the end using Trim with a window (R to L) to select multiple line you then select the lines (plural) you want to cut.  Very handy tool that appears not to be in he latest version of LibreCAD.  Can the function be copied and placed in the present LibreCAD version for our use.  How do we update LibreCAD with the patch?

I have been unable to find any documentation on the Selection icon in standard LibreCAD; could you direct me to some? 

Thank you for considering this information, I look forward to your reply.
Nigel Vincent

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:41 PM, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:
I moved this thread to the LibreCAD-user sub forum to avoid further irritations with LC3 development.

http://forum.librecad.org/Changing-MText-box-size-tp5714733p5714745.html
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Nigel, that sounds fine.
If you have concerns uploading the manual here in the forum, feel free to mail it to me first.

A good place for uploading is the Tutorials / Manual topics sub forum. You can upload it with a new topic, make clear that it is work in progress and ask for proofreading. That will reach a bigger set of reader.
When the manual is approved we can upload it to the wiki and publish some links here and on github.

Concerning the video, it is not about LibreCAD. LibreCAD never had this feature and there is sadly no patch to apply.

I'm not sure about your question about selection icon. Are you talking about the select tool bar?

I've found no documentation too. There are only the tool tips when the mouse stays over the buttons I think.
If you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask here, preferably assisted with a screenshot.

Which LibreCAD version do you use?

Many thanks for your efforts.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution