Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

keycodes...?

cranky
I'm an old fella and would like to have keycodes added to the LibreCAD program, is this job reasonably straight forward to do?

Of course I can use the mouse and 'click and go' but sometimes I do find it easier to punch away at the keyboard.

I suppose my request is more aimed at the developers and hope that you could consider it please.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: keycodes...?

dxli
Hi,

We have been talking about this for long time.

The actual limit is manpower available.

any help is welcome.

dxli

cranky wrote
I'm an old fella and would like to have keycodes added to the LibreCAD program, is this job reasonably straight forward to do?

Of course I can use the mouse and 'click and go' but sometimes I do find it easier to punch away at the keyboard.

I suppose my request is more aimed at the developers and hope that you could consider it please.
Reply | Threaded
|

cranky
What help did you have in mind ?
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
In reply to this post by cranky
Hi,

what kind of keycodes are you talking about?

There are already keycodes for most menu entries. Also there are some shortcuts for commands, you can find them in the menus, behind the menu commands.

Then there is the command line, where several commands are accepted for drawing.
You find some sites in the wiki where the commands are listed and explained.

http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/A_short_manual_for_use_from_the_command_line
http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/Commands_and_tools
http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/Commands_and_tools_-_using_the_command_line

Can you please have a look at the wiki pages and give us some details, what exactly you are missing.

Thanks, Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

cranky
@Armin, thank you for your time and effort to answer my request.
LordOfBikes wrote
what kind of keycodes are you talking about?
Yes I see that there are some short cut key codes written down in the places you have links too - thanks for that, however I think that these keycodes should all be in text alongside all of the menu commands - not just some of them!
Also they should be added to the 'hover-tool tips':

Of course I could print out the info from the links you posted but it is much easier to learn and remember key codes for a program actually from within the 'actual' program itself.
The other thing is do all the key-codes work? are they up to date? keycodes could be added when new tools are added!

@dxli again I will ask what help did you have in mind?
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
cranky, thanks for detailing your request.

I've seen some tickets on SorceForge.net regarding this, bugs and feature requests, so it should not be forgotten.

As dxli said, one problem is manpower. At the moment the focus is on forcing the stability of LC for a final release.

From my point of view the problem is not adding the commands and shortcuts to some text strings. As developer I have to think about how I can simply keep consistency between translatable GUI strings, the menu bar, the command line interface and not least the documentation. So this is not a minor job to do.

When I translated LC to German a couple of weeks ago I saw, that there is demand to handle, but this is not a job for a release candidate.

When dxli asked for help, I think he would say, that there is a lot to do to push LC forward. What kind of help depends on the interests and capabilities of each individual. Even using the software and reporting issues or feature requests supports the project. Alternative one can write documentation, tutorials or wiki articles or support other users in the forum and not least translating or tinker around the sorce code.

As dxli said, every help is welcome.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution