Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

A question about entering length for lines in architectural formal

Gorf
I think I am stumped by something stupid here. In my document preferences I have the main drawing unit set to inches. And my Length Format set to architectural. I've never really worked with LibreCAD in this mode but I now have some need to express fractional inches. However for things like horizontal and vertical lines, the length input in the tool bar doesn't seem to want to accept architectural length input like 14'-2 5/8".  

10 years ago someone apparently figured out a small code fix here, and 3 years ago a goofy workaround was suggested that I guess works.

Is this still the norm or have I missed a change?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A question about entering length for lines in architectural formal

dxli
We have a few places to enter length, like draw line (angle, perpendicular, parallel, etc.), and the common command input for coordinates. They are handled differently.

Now, focus on the length itself, we generally allow evaluating of math notations. That means the natural way of interpretation of 14'-2 5/8" as 14 feet minus 2 and 5/8 ".

It's conceivable to disable interpreting of - as the minus sign for the architecture format, but the current design doesn't consider length format or even units during evaluation.

A quick fix is possible to support 14'2 5/8" or 14'2"5/8

Gorf wrote
I think I am stumped by something stupid here. In my document preferences I have the main drawing unit set to inches. And my Length Format set to architectural. I've never really worked with LibreCAD in this mode but I now have some need to express fractional inches. However for things like horizontal and vertical lines, the length input in the tool bar doesn't seem to want to accept architectural length input like 14'-2 5/8".  

10 years ago someone apparently figured out a small code fix here, and 3 years ago a goofy workaround was suggested that I guess works.

Is this still the norm or have I missed a change?

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: A question about entering length for lines in architectural formal

Gorf
Yep, something like that would work.  Or consider allowing the wrapping of values in something the interpreter would understand is not a mathematical expression. Like back ticks. Similar to how bash recognizes '', "", and `` as three separate enclosed strings. And depending on the context are evaluated each differently.  Or even just use them to indicate that the preceeding was a fractional input like 14'2"5/8`.

Anyway, I still am happy with the tool. But Thought this might be worth discussing again.  I'm just a lowly ole 2d guy, not one of these new fangled 3d people like kids these days. :D