Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Adjustable sensitivity when selecting objects/lines

Andrew Janke
Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity of LibreCAD when selecting objects?

For small scale drawings (up to 1m) quickly selecting lines to offset works well, but when you draw things on a house/land scale (100's of m) you have to be within 1 pixel to get this to work. You can make this better by zooming in, but then if you are offsetting a line by 6-8m you don't see if it works until you zoom out again as there is no visual feedback that I can see.

This is similarly frustrating for selecting lines and for this reason I find myself always selecting what I want by drawing a select box around items before selecting the action and then jumping past the select step.

So unless I'm doing something wrong ideally I'd like a way to increase the size of the centre of the crosshair such that it gives some visual feedback as to which line/object it is currently snapped/selected.

I've taken a look in the github source and am not adverse to making the code changes needed and submitting a pull request to get this to happen if someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

a
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Adjustable sensitivity when selecting objects/lines

dellus
I'm not sure whether I have understood your question right. Isn't it normal to have to zoom in to make a selection in a complex and detailed drawing? I personally don't have a problem with the way LC works for selecting items.
But for snapping I would welcome improvements. I would like to see a searching radius for possible snap points been indicated, so it would be easier to prevent unwanted points to be snapped into.
I am not a developer, just a user exploring LC myself. If you can code and improve something, developers are desperately needed.

Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Janke

Yes, it's normal to zoom in for a complex drawing when there are many lines. However this use case is when the drawing is large scale.

To get an idea of what the problem is, create a new libreCAD drawing and draw a simple box 200m by 50m, then try to draw a box 15m inside this by using the line offset tool. You have to be within one pixel to make the offset work and this is somewhat difficult with a mouse and leads to frustration. If you zoom in to make it easy to pick the line to offset you can't see if it works as 15m is beyond your current view.

Thus my question as to if you can adjust how close you need to be to a line to select it.

The same occurs if you attempt to select lines when you are zoomed out.

I've contributed to a number of Open source projects for a number of years so am not afraid of making changes to code if needs be to fix this but prefer to ask one of the developers if this is something that already has been done or not or at least thought about as to the best way to implement it.

Thanks

a
Reply | Threaded
|

Andrew Janke
So, after some more experimentation it appears that this was somehow a problem with the file I had.

I say this as I just tried the own test I suggested myself and to my surprise it worked, and worked well.

I then opened my existing file and the problem was still there, copied everything to a new file and the problem went away. I suspect something in the document setup regarding scales but couldn't track it down after setting everything I could see to be similar.

If one of the devs is interested I can provide the file but for now it works and I'm back to being a happy libreCAD user.

a