classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Alternate for relative coordinates

David L Shumway
The manual states

Relative coordinates can also be entered using the “x..y” format. This format is equivalent to prefixing the coordinates with the “@” symbol, but allows for numeric keypad input when using the command line. As an example, entering coordinates as “75..65” is equivalent to “@75,65”.

I have tried this several times and cannot get it to work.  It gives me 'unknown command".
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Alternate for relative coordinates

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Can you please post a link to the manual where you red this.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
It is in Using the Keyboard in the Fundamentals section.

Try typing this series of commands:
   li

The first line, "li" is the "2 Point" line command, the next line places the first point at (absolute) 10,10.  The third line, "20..20", will place the next line's point at relative 20 up and 20 left (or at 30,30 absolute).  The command line output window should show:
   Accepted keycode: li
   @20,20

"20..20" is translated to "@20,20".
Reply | Threaded
|

David L Shumway
Here is what happens doing this.

Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Every day is a school day :
I was not aware of this function, but basically it works for me too.

But for me it's useless, as it is intended to be used with the num pad and on my German keyboard I have , not . there, which fails of course.
This brings me to the idea, that it can be something similar in your case. What are the language settings for your keyboard?
Does it work when you copy/paste the commands from Gary S above?
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

David L Shumway
LordOfBikes wrote
 What are the language settings for your keyboard?
I'm using US international.

The manual specifies that it is based on LibreCAD v2.2.0-rc1.  I have 1.1.3 or something. Possibly it is something that was added in the new version.
Apparently there is no way to update the program.  I would have to uninstall and download the new version, correct?
Reply | Threaded
|

David L Shumway
Got my own answers.

I signed up on Source Forge for updates and downloaded the new version.

Now the "x..y" works.  
I'm still trying to learn how it works.  Apparently the first entry becomes the new relative point for the second.

I chose the point of the corner of my drawing as the reference point.  In the first instance (drawing a rectangle) assuming that the reference point that I had chosen was valid for the two points I got a rectangle that was 6.75 high.  I wanted .75.  So in the next two tries (in the 5th to 8th line) for the second corner I typed 23...75. I got a rectangle 75 high.  I tried several things but kept getting errors.
The only way I understand I can do this is to make a rectangle elsewhere and then move it into place.  

That does not work either.  If I input "x,", it gives me Expression Syntax Error.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
"Apparently the first entry becomes the new relative point for the second." - Correct.

"The only way I understand I can do this is to make a reactangle elsewhere and then move it into place." - No, you shouldn't have to do that.  Place your first point of the rectangle with an "absolute coordinate".  Say you want it to start at 10, 20 and then have a rectangle 30 wide and 15 tall.  To specify the first corner type "10,20".  For the second corner you would type "30..15" (which is equivalent to @30,15):
   re
   @30,15

The next prompt of the "Command line" output is then "Specify first corner" again for another rectangle.  Coordinates always need to be entered as a "x,y" pair...
Reply | Threaded
|

David L Shumway
In reply to this post by David L Shumway
"That does not work either.  If I input "x,", it gives me Expression Syntax Error."

I closed the program and started again.  It seems to have been something related to a bad connection.