Annotations and Hatches absent in MakerCAM SVG export?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Annotations and Hatches absent in MakerCAM SVG export?

Jarrett
Hi all! I hope this posts makes sense. I'm new to the site, but have been a LibreCAD user for the past 4 years.

I have a drawing with context critical hatching and mtext annotation that are absent when exported to SVG. I haven't found any threads addressing this, and a quick browse the git source and issues log didn't reveal immediate answers.
Also, I'm not doing any CAM work. Just getting tired of "dialing in" png resolutions, and pdf wont work for my purposes.

I know SVG exporting is incomplete, but is there any way to include these artifacts? Maybe by converting them to raw vectors? or is this obfuscated by the back-end? Besides writing some raw SVG for a webpage ages ago, I'm not very familiar with the file format, but it seems like a common sense feature to me.

On another note, if this is within the feature's scope and is slated for implementation, I have some C development experience. I'm pretty indebted to the project at this point, so if anyone knows where to start I'd be happy to contribute :)

apologies if this thread is in the wrong place, or a redundant discussion.

Thanks!
-- Jarrett
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Annotations and Hatches absent in MakerCAM SVG export?

dellus
SVG export in LibreCAD is taylored to suffice CAM needs, not for graphical uses.
I see two possibilities:

Exlode text and hatches before exporting to svg. Works, but when viewing in Inkscape I got weird thick lines which you have to edit to suitable width.

Or export to pdf, open in Inkscape and resave as svg. Gives a good result.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Annotations and Hatches absent in MakerCAM SVG export?

Jarrett
dellus wrote
SVG export in LibreCAD is taylored to suffice CAM needs, not for graphical uses.
I figured this was the case, but thank you for clearing it up. I still think having a graphical SVG option would be nice given the format's versatility, but I understand the demand isn't huge in LibreCAD's niche.

dellus wrote
Exlode text and hatches before exporting to svg. Works, but when viewing in Inkscape I got weird thick lines which you have to edit to suitable width.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I'm kicking myself for not finding it sooner! Thanks!
I do still have a few problems. it doesn't seem to work on line types (like exploding a dash) but I can work around that.
there also seems to be no effect on solid hatches. Which makes sense given they're not vector-definable. I can add that as a verbatim "fill" after export anyway.

dellus wrote
Or export to pdf, open in Inkscape and resave as svg. Gives a good result.
I keep seeing talk of inkscape. I've been reluctant to pick up another editing suite for just this procedure, but I might have to check it out.

To give a bit more context for thread posterity: I'm trying to include drawings as scalable graphics in LaTeX. I'm specifically drawing UML diagrams right now, but I wanted a generalized solution as I work a lot between TeX and CAD. I found a github project for converting SVG to a TikZ environment (conveniently hosted on the AUR). It seems to work pretty well, and including CAD drawings in native TikZ felt like a dream come true.

Maybe adapting to a new environment would make more sense for this. I bet there's even software for my specific use case. But I guess I'm stubborn and wanted to use what I knew.
Everything seems in order now though.

Thanks again!