classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Backport LibreCAD with quadtree tech in LibreCAD3

lottefang
    Hi developers:
    I have tried LibreCAD3 with opening a large dxf file. And the result is very very good! Turn out that quadtree mechanism is working much better than our old One.
    So Here is the question: Is it possible to backport LibreCAD2 with quadtree tech. Because LibreCAD2 has more developers and users. It is reasonable to make LibreCAD2 be perfect. If we have chance, Why not do that?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Backport LibreCAD with quadtree tech in LibreCAD3

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Hi lottefang,

the performance boost for big files was one of the goals for LC3. Nice, that you confirm it works.

I agree, that LC2 has more users, but that is because LC3 is not really in an usable state yet. The LC3 GUI is still missing lot of things needed for a productive work.
Sadly I can't confirm, that LC2 has more developer, in the sense of core developers. Sure, LC2 has a couple of developers battling issues or improve tools for better functionality. But we have lost some man power in the last years for various reasons.

For a quad tree back port to LC2, a lot of work would be needed. I value the efforts for this as much as we need to bring the LC3 GUI into a beta or possibly release state. So if someone has time to spend on LibreCAD development, I'd prefer, that these efforts are put into LC3.

Of course, contributions to LC2 are still welcome, but I think we have to move forward and motivate creative folks to work on LC3. One important reason for this is to get rid of licensing issues with old QCAD code.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution