Beginner at QT Creator (using Ver 4.6.3)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beginner at QT Creator (using Ver 4.6.3)

joseph_oc
This post was updated on .
I am beginning to use Qt Creator 4.6.3 as my IDE.  It is the package version supplied by Debian Linux 6.0.6.

I try to BUILD the User Interface I created per the Quick Tour of Qt Creator provided in the Manual.

I recieve the following error in the Compiler Output Window:

Starting: /usr/bin/make -w
make: Entering directory `/home/joseph/Qt4_Projects/TextFinder'
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -DQT_SQL_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -DQT_SHARED -I/usr/share/qt4/mkspecs/linux-g++ -I. -I/usr/include/qt4/QtCore -I/usr/include/qt4/QtGui -I/usr/include/qt4/QtSql -I/usr/include/qt4 -I. -I. -o main.o main.cpp
make: Leaving directory `/home/joseph/Qt4_Projects/TextFinder'
make: g++: Command not found
make: *** [main.o] Error 127
Exited with code 2.
Error while building project TextFinder
When executing build step 'Make'

I have gpp installed on my system.  I would have to believe I have build configuration statement wrong.  Hope that makes sense.

At any rate,  I will continue on with my efforts with the Quick Tour and the Coding tomorrow morning.  If someone has insight into my Build error, a reply would be appreciated.

Sincerely,
Joe O'Connor
joseph@LinuxGIS.com
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beginer at QT Creator (using Ver 4.6.3)

Nicu Tofan
First check if the gcc is available in a terminal. Open one and type
gcc --version

If the version is printed then gcc is available from your PATH, otherwise you will need to add it. If you can't find gcc at all then you will need to install the build-essentials package.

Once you can print the gcc version on terminal open a project in Qt Creator and try to build it. If same error appears then (it's kind of weird):
- open the Projects tab in the left
- find Build Environment (I'm using a newer version, but it must be somewhere on the lower part)
- alter the PATH to include the location of gcc

You can type in a terminal
echo "$PATH"

and copy-paste the result.

Note, however that this is not a proper fix. You will have to do this for every project. Best is to investigate why the PATH in Qt Creator is different that the one in the terminal.

Keep me posted about your progress.
Nick
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beginer at QT Creator (using Ver 4.6.3)

dan@sstrev.com
In reply to this post by joseph_oc
Just to be clear; Debian has a gpp and a g++ package. You need the g++ package.

If I recall correctly Debian 6 does not install suggested packages automatically; of which g++ is.

Installing build-essential will pull in all the remaining requirements.

-Dan
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Beginner at QT Creator (using Ver 4.6.3)

joseph_oc
Dan;

You are correct!!  I installed the G++ package and Qt-Creator is compliling with no errors!!

Thank all you guys for your assistance.

I will continue to post to this thread as I come up with questions.

SIncerely,
Joe O'Connor
Reply | Threaded
|

joseph_oc
To all;

Another beginners question about Qt Creator.

I feel learning by doing is the best, so I am jumping in, sink or swim.

In Qt Creator I chose to create a new C++ Library Project.  Some ways I don't like it because it has created files for me that I have no idea on why.

My Library will be callled COGO_Input.  Surveyors have their own way of entering data that I will try to emulate as close as possible through the functions in the Library.  Surveyors probably perfer a command line interface which LibreCAD provides.  

I am having questions working on this Library. Not compiling correctly.

Details to follow in next post shortly.

Thanks again.

Joe O'Connor
Reply | Threaded
|

joseph_oc

To all;

I have gone back a step, I opened an 'empty' Qt4 project and I am having more success.  I will hold off on trying to compile a Library for a while and begin my coding from the 'empty' project.  

If someone can give me any heads up about issues when I go to compiling a Library, let me know.  The compiler was looking for an executable file when I was trying to compile the Library Project.  That issue is now gone.

Thanks for your time.

Joe O'Connor

Reply | Threaded
|

keghn
 Hello.
 What executable file was qt, gcc, or g++ looking for?