classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Build Instructions for Windows / macOS

Gary S
This post was updated on .
I've been updating the User Manual and have included a section on building LibreCAD from source so the more adventurous users can build  and run the latest edition of LibreCAD.  These instructions are intended for advanced users with a limited understanding of the build process, but not intended to be a developer’s guide (There is a separate section linking back to GitHub for those that want to contribute).

The instructions work fine for Linux (Debian), but I have been unable to compile the Windows version.  I started with the build instructions on the wiki (https://wiki.librecad.org/index.php?title=Build_from_source) and have parsed them down to the keep the instructions succinct.  I’ve attempted to build the Windows version using the latest version of Qt and boost (also tried versions 1.53.0 and 1.60.0), but keep getting errors.  I’ll post the errors here: http://forum.librecad.org/Help-wanted-to-build-on-Windows-td5717272.html .  Can anyone offer some direction on where I might be going wrong?

Also, there is a separate post, http://forum.librecad.org/Help-wanted-to-build-on-MacOS-td5717273.html, for the macOS build for anyone who is building on a mac and would like to review the instructions.

Thanks...

PS: The most current build instructions can be found here: https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/appx/build.html  (updated with the correct link 11-May-19)

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Build Instructions for Windows / macOS

Shawn.Curry
Hi Gary I'll post the solution in the other thread.
Reply | Threaded
|

Shawn.Curry
In reply to this post by Gary S
Well, the other thread got a bit long.

Anyway, here are the new build instructions for Visual Studio 2013+:

- Follow all of the instructions for building in Qt.
- Install the appropriate Qt Visual Studio Tools plugin for your version of Visual Studio.
- RTFM. Set it up.
- Qt VS Tools > Open Qt Project File > librecad.pro
- Build
ACL
Reply | Threaded
|

ACL
Speaking as a Mac user, I looked over the instructions for building it and just did not understand them. They seem to be written by people who know it for people who know it, and people like me don't really know where to start. I would need MUCH clearer and more detailed instructions and I applaud you for digging into this!

Although I do have 2.2.0 installed now (there's a DMG for it in the Help Wanted area of the forum) I'd be happy to be your test subject and proofreader for build instructions. Start from scratch...  I have never built an app before.

Where do I put the files?
Where are the commands run from?
What do I need to install first, if anything?
What do "make" and "build" even mean, if you're going to use those terms?
Etc.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary S
Which build instructions did you use?  There are multiple methods to build for macOS in the wiki.  I've attempted to parse the mac OS instructions in the User Manual appendix to a single method that seemed to be the easiest (but I haven't tested them since I'm don't have a Mac).
ACL
Reply | Threaded
|

ACL
librecad.org home page links to the Wiki for building so that's where I was. The split locations for help files are a mess and having the instructions on a totally different website that isn't integrated with the main site is a less than ideal user experience.

Starting with the first line "Starting from version 2.0.2, LibreCAD is included MacPorts" it's confusing. I know it's written by a non-native English speaker and we can improve on that. Is included in? Includes? I installed MacPorts and then didn't really know what to do. Update package? What package? No one told me where to put it in the first place. And this step is optional? OK. I did it anyway and was asked for a password. After that I got "sudo: port: command not found."  I didn't pursue this any farther.

Everything else uses the same approach but just reading it over, "Install QT and a new gcc," OK, what are they? Sounds like I already have one? Does it matter where I am in Terminal when I run these commands?

This is the level of ignorance the instructions have to deal with.