3 messages Options
JAQ
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Change arc "bulge" ?

JAQ
Hi guys.

New to LibreCAD, but used other packages in the past. My old software is having issues on new hardware so need to update to a more modern cad package.

I'm looking for a "adjust bulge" function. I have a arc in Librecad, and I can select and move the two endpoints, but how to I adjust the bulge, or move the center of the arc, while not moving the endpoints?

In my old cad software, I could select a point along the middle of a arc or line, then drag it in or out to change the arc, while leaving the end points where they were. I could also type in the new radius if I wanted to. Only the arc center point was changed, to suit the existing end point, and give a different curve. Very useful for free hand work, text, artistic stuff.

Thanks in advance.
Glenn
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Change arc "bulge" ?

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome Glenn!

Sadly there is no such tool in LibreCAD.
You can use Modify->Properties tool to change entities, but changing the radius of an arc will keep the center and thus move the endpoints.
So I recommend to create a new arc and delete the old one.
There are various tools to do so. Possibly, when there is no suitable tool for an arc, you can create a circle, which has more options, and trim it to an arc then.

Maybe Inkscape is a software that is more suitable for free hand and art work.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
JAQ
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Change arc "bulge" ?

JAQ
Thanks for the reply.

Its a shame Librecad doesn't have this function, its a deal breaker for me unfortunately, otherwise its good software. I use cad for my cnc router which I use for making circuit boards, engraving and fret work, and been able to nudge a arc freehand to tidy up a curve is a must.

In the past I've used a program called Axis Motion ( on a industrial laser cutter ), and have discovered QCad and Sovespace in the last few days, all of which do allow you to adjust a arc in the way I mentioned. They place a point half way along the arc that you can click on and "drag" to change the bulge. Maybe this is something the Librecad developers could consider in a future release.

Regards
Glenn