Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Change rotation axis

Evan K
I have an orthogonal drawing that's basically a tall cube. I want to spin it along its central Z axis. Using the rotate option, I selected the bottom/center point, but that makes it rotate down -- such as a domino tipping over -- how do I tell LibreCAD that I'd like to "spin" the drawing instead?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Change rotation axis

dxli
do you mean you want to rotate by -90 degrees instead of 90?
Evan K wrote
I have an orthogonal drawing that's basically a tall cube. I want to spin it along its central Z axis. Using the rotate option, I selected the bottom/center point, but that makes it rotate down -- such as a domino tipping over -- how do I tell LibreCAD that I'd like to "spin" the drawing instead?
Reply | Threaded
|

Evan K
Hello,

No, I want to rotate along a different axis.

I am making a 3D drawing -- or at least a 3D perspective in the 2D software -- by using an orthogonal grid.

Is it impossible to rotate along the virtuao Z axis?

On Jan 22, 2016, "dxli [via LibreCAD]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
do you mean you want to rotate by -90 degrees instead of 90?
Evan K wrote

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Change-rotation-axis-tp5712839p5712842.html
To unsubscribe from Change rotation axis, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

Evan K
I mis-spoke. I am using the isometric grid. Keep getting the names confused, sorry!
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
in general, 3D rotation can not be based only on the projected, because 3D rotation needs 3D information, while the projected contains only 2D.

consider 3D as a linear mapping of 3D space V=(x, y, z), while the only available information is projected V'=(x', y', 0)
V' = P V
R(V') = P R(V)

with R(V) denotes the linear mapping of rotation.

Only if the rotation is in the range space of projection P, P R(V) = R(P V), the rotation can be done using only projected coordinates, i.e. the rotation is around the null space of projection.

in a simple case of isometric projection, the null space is the 3D line, x=y=z, rotation is around this axis is the same as rotation in the projected space.

Evan K wrote
I mis-spoke. I am using the isometric grid. Keep getting the names confused, sorry!