Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Command line fraction syntax error.

Raven.Sirius
I'm trying to work in inches. I've set the current drawing preferences as inches>fractional.
I'm on the current layer.
command line.
rec
2 7/8,1 3/16
Expression Syntax Error

I've checked the snaps and they are all off. I've tried with spaces between the comma and without. I can draw the rectangle by point and click but it's soooo slow that way.

Any ideas on why it won't allow the fraction input?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Command line fraction syntax error.

LordOfBikes
Administrator
This setting in Current Drawing Preferences is only for coordinate display and grid.
The input of fractional units in the command line or tool options is not supported.
There was a contribution for this feature, but because of side effects we had to revert this again.

Until you work in Inch dimensions, you can enter this:
2+7/8 , 1+3/16
This will work, because math expressions are allowed.

But when it becomes larger, you have to know the factors yourself.
E.g. for 5yd 2'3"3/8 you must enter something like this:
5*3*12 + 2*12 + 3 + 3/8
or

Math expressions should even work in tool options like circle radius or parallel distance.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Raven.Sirius
Thank you.

As annoying as it is I'll just work in decimal inch and do the inaccurate convert back later. (Innacurate because of rounding errors)

Will this ever be made to work correctly?
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
No problem, you're welcome!

We reverted the implementation because it was unacceptable when the side effect was detected (no
negative coordinates).
The plan was to refactor this with a more stable solution, but I can't say, if anybody is working on this actively.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution