Does LibreCAD 2.1.3 work with Windows 10?

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Does LibreCAD 2.1.3 work with Windows 10?

Trikester
I posted about my problem with the SNAP function but there are several other things that are not working properly. Is there a problem with version 2.1.3 and Windows 10?

I even uninstalled the program and downloaded it again and installed again. Nothing changed.

Trikester
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Does LibreCAD 2.1.3 work with Windows 10?

dellus
If something has been borked, the settings for this might be kept in the registry and carried into a reinstall. You may try Application Preferences - Defaults - Clear settings - All. Maybe Layout will suffice.
Do the problems occur with existing AutoCAD files or with new LibreCAD drawings? There has been a case recently where snap seemed not to work with converted drawings, you had to zoom in very close or disable Free Snap. Reason not found.
I don't know of a special problem with version 2.1.3 and Windows 10.

Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
I had problems with both converted AutoCAD dwg and new LibreCad drawings. I did notice that the settings carried over into the new install, so I'll do as you suggested and remove them and start over.

Glad to know that there is no known problem with using 2.1.3 on W10.
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
Solved.

I cleared settings and started over and now it appears that everything is working. So something got messed up as I was making and changing settings and you were right, reinstalling the program didn't help because the settings were carried over into the new download/install. I didn't realize that anything was preserved when a program is uninstalled, I had thought it would clear everything associated with the program. Thanks for the knowledge.

Trikester
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
NOT SOLVED!

I'm beginning to find out that LibreCAD likes command line inputs much better than mouse inputs.

When I try to put in a start point for text or dimension an entity, using my mouse the point will jump to another location even with all snaps off. A text line will not go where i indicated but move to a line somewhere and other strange happenings that are not consistent. Sometimes after using the mouse for a while the program stops responding to the mouse altogether and won't draw an entity except by command line. Saving and closing the drawing and reopening will restore the mouse function but it still won't place a point where indicated oftentimes but sometimes it works perfectly.

Another annoying thing is that after saving and closing then the next time I open the General Scale setting has changed from 1 where I had set it to 2.5 and I have to change it back to 1 or my dimension text comes out too big.

It seems as though the program is unstable and things change functionality as i use it.

I may not be able to use LibreCAD and it's too bad because I'm a long time user of AutoCAD LT and I love the similarity between the two.

Trikester
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
This post was updated on .
LibreCAD doesn't normally behave like that (which reads like snap behavior) so take some time to get familiar with it. You still need to learn the LibreCAD interface, even if you are proficient with AutoCAD. Have a look at the animated tutorials and try a few Text and/or video tutorials. (If you only want to do one then do https://dokuwiki.librecad.org/doku.php/tutorial:carport.) If you really mess up the config just clear the settings.

https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/releases - use LibreCAD-Installer-2.2.0-rc1.exe
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
This post was updated on .
Thank you. I looked at the tutorial and it was using the command line for the inputs. I don't seem to have a problem with the command line inputs it's when I use the mouse that it starts doing unusual things and eventually locks out the mouse as if it doesn't see it, even though the pointer or cross hairs still show on the screen.

I installed the trial version of QCAD Pro and it doesn't seem to have this problem. I even went so far as to open the dxf drawing that I had been using in LibreCAD for practice. QCAD adopted the settings the drawing had in LibreCAD and the mouse was working OK without any unwanted snaps. And when I wanted snap ing it worked normally whereas in LibreCAD the snaps often didn't work when i wanted to use them.

I've downloaded, from the link you showed, the version 2.2.0 now and I will try that version to see if it is acting OK.

Trikester
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In LibreCAD normally Free Snap should always be on, this prevents the mouse cursor jumping around wildly.
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
This could also be related with Restrict mode, see https://forum.librecad.org/Imovable-X-axis-tp5717898.html

And there was an issue, when the space bar toggled something snap related, I don't remember exactly.
So I recommend not to use the above linked RC1 version, but the latest nightly build, which could be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/Windows/NightlyBuilds/master/

There were a lot of improvements recently, and this version is as stable as RC1.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Space bar toggled Free Snap on and off. But this was not in 2.1.3, only in earlier 2.2.0 releases, if I remember right. Fixed meanwhile, can be set in Application Preferences.
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
I'll try leaving free snap on and I'll first download that latest build LordofBikes recommends.

For what it may suggest: I've been doing practice drawings all day in QCAD Pro, (which I went ahead and purchased for the 38 USD, so the trial version wouldn't keep turning off). The problems I had in LebreCAD have not shown up in QCAD. Since the two programs are so very similar maybe this can shed some light on it.

Trikester
Reply | Threaded
|

Trikester
Did both of the above and it's still the same.

Trikester