classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Draw line by only specifying length?

tesco
Hi,

It has been about 7 years since I last used autocad. I remember that when drawing lines I could click on a point, then move my cursor to the general direction that I want the line to go (snapping orthogonally usually), then simply type a number and hit enter and the line would be drawn to that length.

How can I do this in librecad? The snapping is fine, but the only way I have found to draw the line to an exact measurement is with coords (like "@0,50"). I just simply want to use my mouse to get the direction of the line and have to type the length only ("50").

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Draw line by only specifying length?

ClaudeQC

Hello tesco,

On 2012-07-28 19:05, tesco [via LibreCAD] wrote:

>
 > Hi,
 >
 > It has been about 7 years since I last used autocad. I remember that
 > when drawing lines I could click on a point, then move my cursor to
 > the
 > general direction that I want the line to go (snapping orthogonally
 > usually), then simply type a number and hit enter and the line would
 > be
 > drawn to that length.
 >
 > How can I do this in librecad? The snapping is fine, but the only way
 > I
 > have found to draw the line to an exact measurement is with coords
 > (like
 > "@0,50"). I just simply want to use my mouse to get the direction of
 > the
 > line and have to type the length only ("50").
 >

- I think the "Relative Polar Co-ordinates" can do the job.

- The syntax is the following:

@distance<angle

Claude

Reply | Threaded
|

BigAl
Hi tesco,

In my very limited knowledge isn't there a box in the "Pen selection" bar where you can specify the length you want? I am using v1.0.2.

Cheers

Alan
Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
BigAl wrote
Hi tesco, In my very limited knowledge isn't there a box in the "Pen selection" bar where you can specify the length you want?
Hi Alan
For info: The 'Pen' selection tool bar is referring to line weight, line colour and line width.
When using certain tools e.g. 'Horizontal Lines' or 'Circle with center and radius' - automatically you will be offered different options (length, radius etc...) where you can enter values in fields.

* The method that tesco is talking about is currently not available in LibreCAD yet! The only method of achieving this at the moment is by either using the 'Horizontal lines' tool (by entering values into the 'Length' field') or as Claude suggests - by entering either absolute 10,10 (= 10 units in X direction, 10 units in Y direction from absolute origin 0,0) or relative @10,10 (= 10 units in x and y direction 'relative' (@) from the last position!)

* Polar coordinates can be either absolute or relative, the < sign is used to represent an angle - e.g. @<10,10 (= relative to the last position at an angle of 10 degrees at a given length of 10 units long).

BigAl wrote
I am using v1.0.2.
For Windows/Mac
Version 2.0.0alpha4 is available here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/