classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Exporting as svg with different options

snowforest
Hello,
I drew something and wanted to export it as SVG. When I exported it from "export as makercam svg" option, I was able to open the file that looked like a vector graphic file in gimp (with all that transparent background). But an ellipse I had in the image looked distorted (in inkscape too the image looked distorted).
Then I tried to export as svg by trying "export as image" option and then selecting the file type as svg. But then gimp opened it as if an image with white background, but this time the ellipse looked ok.
So the second one is still a vector image? How can I know it is still a vector image? If vector image why didnt gimp open it with transparent background?

which option we must use to export as svg in librecad?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Exporting as svg with different options

dellus
I have tested with a simple ellipse and got no distortion.
But: In the settings box for makercam svg export it says under certain conditions ellipses cannot be displayed properly and you are offered the choice to approximate the ellipse with cubic beziers.
You may experiment with that setting.

An SVG can contain bitmap (pixel) images. This is what you get when you export as image - svg.

For graphical purposes it is best to export as PDF first. You can open, edit and resave it as SVG in Inkscape perfectly. Makercam svg export is trimmed for cnc milling.