classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Harp Maker

XRAAFCHAPPIE
Hello to all involved in Developing and using LibreCAD:
High School drafting as taught in the early 1950s (I'm ancient!) has run out of puff.
LibreCAD seems to be the way to go and in designing any harp, the strings and their spacing is a necessary start, so my goal is to cover two AO sheets with parallel lines:  one at 13mm separation, and the other at 14mm.

Nothing seems straightforward yet, and preparing multiple lines (60) on the work screen is one thing, preparing a Data CD/DVD and expecting a plan printer to print DXF from it at correct spacings over an A0 sheet is a step into the unknown.

In a word - Help?

Thanks, XRAAFCHAPPIE
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Harp Maker

dellus
Hello XRAAFCHAPPIE,
what scale shall your drawing be? There are small and large harps...
I have added a template for A0 in mm for scale 1:1. This helps to position the drawing into the paper outline. But if you have a different scale you need a different template. In CAD you draw in real size units, scaling in the end is done at printing.
Try out that template for a start ( open it ) and scribble around.

dellus

mech_mm_1_1_a0.dxf 
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Harp Maker

XRAAFCHAPPIE
Dellus: Thank you for adding the A0 metric template so quickly.
LibreCAD was opened - and on clicking the 'mech mm 1 1 a0.dxf', the open page of programming for the 'little' template was, and still is, quite daunting for this old brain!
Scale to be used is 1:1 and the maximum number of lines on the A0 sheet should be 40.
The plan is to overlay the Soundboard profile to the strings at 22.5 degrees, (Paraguayan harp), and allowing for bow outwards (strings under tension) use the string dimensions and tensions to mark locations for each bridge-pin, the collection of marks on each string guides the shape of the Neck in a harmonic curve.
Thanks again, a report later.