Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello from Olney

Bloodknot
Retired in 2017 after 54 years in the construction industry as a Chartered Surveyor.  During that time I used AutoCad LT mainly to interrogate existing DWG files to measure floor areas and the like.  So no heavy drafting, even though I did start out my career as a trainee draughtsman.

As you can see from my avatar I am a keen motorcyclist along with my 3 sons. But fair weather only these days having done all the wet, cold and windy riding in my earlier years when is was my mode of transport rather than a hobby.

I recently swopped my laptop hard drive for an SSD and the installation of AutoCad then refused to work and it wouldn't re-install.  So I needed to find an open source CAD package that would handle DWG files and this is the only one I found so will give it a try.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello from Olney

dellus
You probably will be disappointed, as LibreCAD dwg support has to be considered experimental only, may work or may not.
It's better to use an external dwg - dxf file converter like Teigha first. LC supports up to dxf 2007.
Reply | Threaded
|

Moult
Is there a recommended cross platform and (ideally open source, but if not...) freeware DWG->DXF converter? Is this conversion workflow documented somewhere?
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
I don't know of an open source app, but I can recommend the Teigha or as it is called now, the ODA file converter. https://www.opendesign.com/guestfiles/oda_file_converter
It's still freeware, I think.
You have to set up an input and an output folder. I think you can do batch processing, but I am not sure.

just try it.