Hello, new in forum, Juan, from argentina, with a couple of questions...

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Hello, new in forum, Juan, from argentina, with a couple of questions...

juandaniel
Hello, good morning, I would like to introduce myself, my name is Juan, I am from Argentina and I am 51 years old, almost 52. I work as an iron, blacksmith, and I am trying to catch up with new technologies, in particular with CNC metal cutting. I did some tests tracing the outline of a logo with Librecad, but I'm having some really basic problems, I'm sorry to bother with this, but I've been looking in the manual and tutorials, but with no luck. For now I mainly have two problems, Number one, I don't know how to close a line drawn around a logo, I trace the contour with the two-point line tool, making small strokes to preserve the definition of said contour, until I reach the point of starting point, where I should close the line, but I don't know how... I know it's pretty stupid, but for the life of me I can't find how.
The other problem is that I don't know how to resume a line if I interrupt it, that is, if I stop drawing it, for example to save the work in case there is a problem or I make a mistake. This has forced me to do all the checks I have done so far in one go, but as the more complex ones are more difficult and of course the chances of making a mistake and losing all the work increase.
So if anyone could help me with these two issues I would be very very grateful. To summarize... 1, how do I close a line once I finish drawing a contour? 2, how do I resume drawing a line that I have interrupted for any reason?
Again, thank you all very much for your time and attention!
Juan.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Hello, new in forum, Juan, from argentina, with a couple of questions...

fa201
Hello,

I am not sure to undeerstand "resuming a line" correctly. I you want to add more lines, you just select line button then click on the last point of previous line and keep drawing. To make sur the line is closed you need to make sure and each starting pont of a lne is coincident with the ending point of another line. This is done with SNAP END POINTS https://docs.librecad.org/en/latest/ref/snaps.html#snapping

I recommend check some video tutorials on Youtube as drafting process is not always obvious even when each function is understood. This needs a bit of practice.
Fabrice

French hobbyist interested in 2D design.
Reply | Threaded
|

juandaniel
Hello Fabrice, thank you so much for taking the time to answer my dumb questions..jejeje... yes I think you understood correctly, I meant to resume drawing the same line if you stop for some reason, to save the proggress for example.
I will check the link you provided, next I have to figure out how to convert a line to a polyline, I assume it is well covered in the manual...

Thanks again for your time and good dispossition!

Juan.
Reply | Threaded
|

eudoxos
hi, Juan

I am very new to libreCAD myself but this might be helpful.

There is a "free-hand line drawing" function that allows you draw cursively in a loop and come back to the original point.  I just tried it and found it difficult to come back to the same pixel.  However, if you leave a short gap between the first and last points of the loop, then switch to end-point snapping, you can easily draw a clean straight line across the gap (since the software will automatically snap the point to the nearest line-end).

I also checked and the "modify" tool seems to work with irregular free-hand-drawn shapes too.  I could not get it to do what I wanted but that was because you would need to study "modify" and "free-hand" to see if/how they can be combined to clean up an irregular shape once you have drawn it.

There are probably better ways to do this but they would take some time and programming experience.  The above might be better than the other options immediately available.  Good luck.

Best regards, Eudoxos