Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to Dimension a Line?

new player
I have no experience with AutoCAD, but wish to become proficient at LibreCAD.

Unfortunately, I have hit a roadblock in my first attempts at dimensioning a line.

Following instructions in Bob's new manual, I have created a rectangle and saved it.

There is only one layer, and the eye is on in the layer list panel on the right.

I click on Dimension>Horizontal, then move the crosshair to the top left corner of the rectangle and left click once.

I then move the crosshair over to the top right corner and left click once.

If I move the crosshair up (no click), vertical lines are extended from the top left and right corners of the rectangle, but no number (dimension) is displayed on the drawing surface or any of the panels to the right or below.

There is a small "window" in the top toolbar named Distance, and there is a 1 in it, but it doesn't change.

Dimensioning is fundamental to my interest in LibreCAD, and I would appreciate help in solving this.

I am either missing a step, or there is an add-on to enable dimensioning, which I am unaware of.
Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: How to Dimension a Line?

Bob
Hi Jetsetsam.

Also check edit>current drawing preferences>dimensions and make sure the text height is 2.5

Also check to make sure your restrict horizontal icon on the top icon menu is not on.

I have tried to duplicate your problem in my drawing in LibreCAD and haven't been able to do it. The above suggestions are possibilities.

Bob
Reply | Threaded
|

sp1der
For reference

What operating system are you using?

Are you using the latest version of LibreCAD, i.e. 2.0.1 beta 1?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rallaz
In reply to this post by new player
Create a new drawing, draw a rectangle of 40x20, then add dimensions and all are correct.

If you draw a rectangle of 400x200 then you must modify your dimension preferences multiply all x10
found it in menu edit->current drawing preferences, dimensions tab
Reply | Threaded
|

new player
In reply to this post by sp1der
Thanks for your quick responses.

My operating system is Windows 7 x 64.

I am using the 2.0.1 Beta 1 version.

The default text height was 0.0025.

I changed it to 2.5 and can now see the dimension number.

I recommend that the default text size in the LibreCAD download be changed from 0.0025 to something viewable.

The novice user of LibreCAD wouldn't know that this was the restriction on seeing the dimension.

Thanks again.
Reply | Threaded
|

Tobias
In reply to this post by Bob
that did the trick. In other words, the number was there, but it was too small to see it. Thanks!