classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Introduction and Question

randyc
Hello,

I just downloaded LibreCAD today and I am impressed by this application - most especially since it is still at virtual infant status :)  I am a retired engineer and my hobbies are satisfied with my electronics lab and my machine shop.  I am also a jazz guitarist and have participated in many jazz forums as well as writing an e-book (free download) "Designing Vacuum Tube Amplifiers and Related Topics".

OK, that's the introduction now here comes the question:

I'm an old-time user of AutoCAD and frequently use the convention of establishing a line, from an arbitrary position, by specifying magnitude and angle (e.g. 0.533 < 60 ).  I'm having a hard time making this work in LibreCAD since the magnitude and angle are always referenced to 0,0 rather than the selected point.

I inferred that "set relative zero position" and "lock -----" would allow me to establish magnitude and angle from the last selected point ... unhappily, re-setting relative zero position doesn't seem to do anything other than change the display coordinates at the bottom of the screen.

What am I doing wrong ?  If the magnitude/angles are always referenced to 0,0 then the feature is limited, to say the least, in my opinion :(

Cheers and thanks for any help you can offer,
RandyC
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Introduction and Question

Rallaz
Hello RandyC,

I too am a user of Autocad and 0.533 < 60 always is referred to 0,0 in both ACAD and LC.

In ACAD, and in LibreCad to indicate a point referred to previous point use @

line, first point: 3.5,2.6
next point: @2<0
next point: @2<90
next point: @2<180
next point: close

These "commands" draw a square of 2 units with a bounding box from 3.5,2.6 to 5.5,4.6
and are identical in LC and ACAD

Cheers,
Rallaz
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Introduction and Question

randyc
Howdy Rallaz,

That's EXACTLY what I wanted to know, many thanks.  That little "@" symbol makes everything work.

Cheers,

RandyC