Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

LibreCAD glitch on curves

Zhang Xianshou

Not sure it is a librecad glitch or just me doing it wrong. But here is the thing.
I was using librecad for sewing pattern making. Everything looks good within librecad, but all curves drawn with spline through points disappeared when I used LibreOffice draw to open the same dxf file. Texts are gone too. Circles are fine.
My sewing teacher uses ULSG WIBU to make sewing patterns. She finds the same problem opening librecad-generated files. I have to solve this problem to keep on with the following lessons. My temporary solution is to draw 2 points lines to fit the curves. This is quite bothering especially since snap on entity does not work on splines.
Snap on entity works sometimes but not always. I can't see a pattern of when it works and when it doesn't.
I don't want to switch to other software because it was a good experience (and price) working with librecad. So if anyone could offer a possible solution, you have my thanks.

I was trying to upload some images but it seems like I can not use that image-attaching feature, somehow. Soon I will make a recording of my problem, upload and leave a link in the forum.
Thank you very much.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: LibreCAD glitch on curves

dellus
I believe it is more a weakness of LibreOffice Draw not to be able to read splines and text from a dxf than it is LibreCAD's fault. I have tested it with files from other CAD tools and it is the same result.
Why do you want to open the drawings in LibreOffice? Do you want to edit them further there? If you just want to insert them in a LibreOffice document for publishing you could export to pdf in LibreCAD and insert or open that in LibreOffice. This works, tested it.
In LibreCAD, if you use Spline, Degree 3, (only that, and not Spline through points), you can 'Explode' them afterwards and will have a succession of small straight line segments instead.
I don't know what ULSG WIBU is and what file formats it can use. Ask your teacher. In LibreCAD you also can export to svg, which can be used for CAM (computer aided manufacturing, like cutting machines), this may be an option. Svg export shows splines (have tested), but not text.