Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MIT COGO

david muir
Hi All I'm an ancient software developer, started programming on an ALWAC IIE in 1960 (a vacuum tube computer) at the University of B.C. I joined Computers Sciences Corp.(CSC) in 1966 after getting my MA in Math. We supported computer users in Vancouver B.C. via an Univac 1004 computer connected by 1200 baud leased telephone line to the Univac 1108 computer managed by CSC at the Hanford Atomic Energy site in Richland Wash. Later in 1968 we put in an Univac 1108 computer in Calgary Alberta for the Oil Industry. I'm now 80 and still working 3 days a week at a geophysical consulting and surveying company. Mainly working on parallel programs on clusters to do 2d & 3d inversion models from geophysical data. However I joined this forum because of my background and interest in civil engineering. At CSC I supported numerous companies, particularly in civil, stuctural, surveying and mining. One of the more interesting civil engineering projects I worked on for several years in the late 60's and early 70's was the Mica Dam on the Columbia river in B.C. At the time it was the largest Earth Fill dam in the world. I developed a Hierarchical database system to calculate the Extraaction and Fill quantities for the dam. Final database had over 750,000 survey data points. Just for the excavation their were 128 crossections with 17 different profile, e.g. dow excavation, final excavated, neat line, payline, etc. Also in the late 60's one of the CSC offices obtained the source code for the MIT COGO program. They had done a partial conversion from the Fortran code for the IBM computer to the Univac 1108 computer for some client, but hadn't fully converted or tested it. With the help of another CSC programmer at Hanford , he and I completed the conversion, updated the code and reworked the control structure of the program. Another civil engineering project I worked on was in 1981-2. At this time I was with another software company. This was for the double tracking of the CPR railway through the Rogers pass in B.C. Here we used my own gridding and contouring software and McAuto COGO (gds). Also in 1984-85 I revamped the program I used for the Mica Dam to use on a VAX 1170 for the Nipawin dam in Saskatchewan. In 1984-1988 I also converted that program to Fortran 77 for the PC. I also converted the CSC COGO program to the PC. Also used the COGO programs in the late 80's and interfaced them to Integraph and als the BC Highways Design program for use on the upgrading of the Vancouver Islan Highway. I'm now converting the COGO program to Fortran 2003 and updating the User interface and control structure. However I missing the book "The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition" for documentation, and also the Manual for McAuto COGO system. I still have to check through my old boxes to see if I have any of the COGO manuals. If anyone has them I would sure like a copy. I'm willing to provide source code to these programs. There are some good surveying and other routines that might useful to be incorporated into LibreCAD. Any comments or suggestions would be much appreciated. David C.W. Muir B.Sc., M.A. (Math)