Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Measure architectural plans for estimating carpet, paint, tile

CarlosEdinsonAcosta
I hope this message finds you very well. For work reasons I receive architectural plans of building in pdf format. With software I convert pdf in format suitable for librecad. But I do not know how to scale the drawing and take the measurements. For example I need to know the size of a part of the floor to calculate how much materials we will need for demolish and install carpet, or tile. I also need to measure the wall to see how much primer and paint I will need. And so on. I am wondering if you can teach me how to do these things in librecad. Thank you so much.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Measure architectural plans for estimating carpet, paint, tile

dellus
After you have converted the pdf to a dxf you first have to check what scale it is. So measure a distance in the drawing, preferably a long one, and of which you know the real life value, maybe from a dimension line. Use the tool Measure/Info - Distance Point to Point for this.
If necessary then calculate the factor to scale the drawing to the right size. Use Tools - Modify - Scale for this, select the whole drawing.

With Tools - Measure/Info - Polygonal Area you can now ask for the area of something by clicking with the mouse on corner after corner of the object until you hit the first point again (closed shape). The result is shown in the command line.
If you just need the length of a single or several lines, just select them all and at the bottom of the screen you are given the "Selected Total Length".

An other method to get an area is to create a hatch. You need a closed outline first, which you can draw on an extra new layer with the original drawing as guide underneath. When the hatch is created the area is reported in the command line. The advantage is you have better control on what you are doing.
But if arcs are part of the outline, due to a bug the calculated area may be wrong. I think this is fixed in the latest development version.

You can provide a sample file of a dxf converted from pdf and maybe also the original pdf. What software do you use to convert? What LibreCAD version?

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
This post was updated on .
The hatch area should be robust enough for most usages.

The limitations:

1, contour loops must be formed by edges;
2, contours must be closed, and must be joined at edge begin end points;
3, edges cannot intersect (no self-intersection); tangential with each other is allowed;

In short, a hatch may be formed by simple loops of edge segments, and loops may not cross any loop including itself.

Then, the area is accurately calculated up to rounding errors.

dellus wrote
After you have converted the pdf to a dxf you first have to check what scale it is. So measure a distance in the drawing, preferably a long one, and of which you know the real life value, maybe from a dimension line. Use the tool Measure/Info - Distance Point to Point for this.
If necessary then calculate the factor to scale the drawing to the right size. Use Tools - Modify - Scale for this, select the whole drawing.

With Tools - Measure/Info - Polygonal Area you can now ask for the area of something by clicking with the mouse on corner after corner of the object until you hit the first point again (closed shape). The result is shown in the command line.
If you just need the length of a single or several lines, just select them all and at the bottom of the screen you are given the "Selected Total Length".

An other method to get an area is to create a hatch. You need a closed outline first, which you can draw on an extra new layer with the original drawing as guide underneath. When the hatch is created the area is reported in the command line. The advantage is you have better control on what you are doing.
But if arcs are part of the outline, due to a bug the calculated area may be wrong. I think this is fixed in the latest development version.

You can provide a sample file of a dxf converted from pdf and maybe also the original pdf. What software do you use to convert? What LibreCAD version?
Reply | Threaded
|

CarlosEdinsonAcosta
In reply to this post by dellus
Im sorry I didn't see your response earlier. I thought I would receive an email with your response. Silly me. Well thank you very much for your help. I has been great. Let me practice with what you have said.   And to answer your questions I have de 2.2.0.2 version and I use cloud convert.   I have another question.  Is it possible to have the area and perimeter information exported to a excel file or a csv?  I don't know if it is possible.   By the way, Merry Christmas and God bless you
Reply | Threaded
|

CarlosEdinsonAcosta
In reply to this post by dxli
Hey, thank you for you contribution and interest. Merry Christmas
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by CarlosEdinsonAcosta
You can copy and paste any value from the command line or the status bar at the bottom into Excel or elsewhere.
But as far as I know there is no way to automate it somehow if this is what you are seeking.