classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

New User - MacOSX user

achilliesdev
Hello Everyone.

I am a intermediate user of CAD programs and have been impressed so far with LibreCad's features and function. One thing I have a question on is the Library browser and how to get parts into the  library. Have search high and low on the web for tutorials but all refer to Linux or Win usage. Does anyone have the trick for this process.

If anyone is interested I will be creating an extensive block library over time for architectural parts relating to structure items not interior design.

Great job LibreCad developers....

Vinaka.
When you have the will to always learn there is nothing that is impossible....The day you stop learning is the day you need to change your profession.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: New User - MacOSX user

dxli
This post was updated on .
To build your own library, the easiest steps could be:

1, choose a library folder under your own home folder, for example, in console: mkdir ~/dxflib/
2, set LibreCAD preferences, Paths->Part Libraries
    you need to put the full path there, for example, /Users/dxli/dxflib , as exactly shown in console by the command: pwd
    you can only put one directory there
3, in your library folder, create subfolders to hold actual dxf files, for example: mkdir ~/dxflib/structural/
4, create some dxf files in those subfolders to be used as parts for LibreCAD

For all application preferences, you have to restart LibreCAD to take effects of setting changes.

As you already notices, we need help on Mac for:

1, QA on Mac
2, updating our wiki.librecad.org
3, packaging for OS/X, as you may noticed, our DMG installers only work for 10.9. it's still better to be able to support early versions

achilliesdev wrote
Hello Everyone.

I am a intermediate user of CAD programs and have been impressed so far with LibreCad's features and function. One thing I have a question on is the Library browser and how to get parts into the  library. Have search high and low on the web for tutorials but all refer to Linux or Win usage. Does anyone have the trick for this process.

If anyone is interested I will be creating an extensive block library over time for architectural parts relating to structure items not interior design.

Great job LibreCad developers....

Vinaka.
Reply | Threaded
|

achilliesdev
Admin,

Thank you for the quick reply. I will try what you have explained. I had put the path in but not complete that is probably why it did not take.

As for help I would be glad to provide as much info as I can.

In my spare time I will work on building standard structural blocks and find a place to upload them for the community. I will also work on written instructions pertaining to general CAD usage via the command line function since that is what I am the most use to using. I am not a point and clicker for the most part.

I am a programmer but with limited knowledge on C and C++. My primary expertise is using PHP, and database setup and design using MySQL.

I will help out in that area as my skills improve.

I have downloaded the latest update for LibreCad and had no luck in running it. My system is as follows:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
System Version: OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.5.0
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB

Again thank you for the info I will reply on my progress.

Cheers
When you have the will to always learn there is nothing that is impossible....The day you stop learning is the day you need to change your profession.
Reply | Threaded
|

achilliesdev
In reply to this post by dxli
Admin,

Okay found out what I had done incorrectly.

Reread your post and the most important comment you made was:

"you can only put one directory there "

This is very important. I had placed a directory structure under the primary structure and directed that path to the subdirectory which caused it to not function.

Thank you for the help.

Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
No problem, don't forget to share your knowledge at wiki.librecad.org.

Another important thing, if you can share dxf parts you created by a free software license(GPL v2 or later and MIT licenses currently used by LibreCAD), it may help lots of users.

achilliesdev wrote
Admin,

Okay found out what I had done incorrectly.

Reread your post and the most important comment you made was:

"you can only put one directory there "

This is very important. I had placed a directory structure under the primary structure and directed that path to the subdirectory which caused it to not function.

Thank you for the help.