Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Objects not in print preview

RobertRead
In drawing an residential electrical plan, I created my own symbols for receptacles, lights, and switches by creating blocks. I could them move the blocks and duplicate as needed. After placing the blocks/symbols on the drawing and saving. I did print preview and only the lines and text in the drawings appears, none of the blocks/symbols appear. I tried exploding one block, modifying attributes, still does not appear in the print preview or a pdf. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Objects not in print preview

dxli
I would check and verify:

1, paper size(double check units, if by custom);
2, layer attitudes(scratch layers won't be printed);
3, line type, width and color. Can you change and move to a new layer.

If still no luck, can you upload a minimum dxf example?
RobertRead wrote
In drawing an residential electrical plan, I created my own symbols for receptacles, lights, and switches by creating blocks. I could them move the blocks and duplicate as needed. After placing the blocks/symbols on the drawing and saving. I did print preview and only the lines and text in the drawings appears, none of the blocks/symbols appear. I tried exploding one block, modifying attributes, still does not appear in the print preview or a pdf. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply | Threaded
|

RobertRead
Thanks for your response. I found the problem, the blocks were drawn in a layer that was not printed, then moved to a layer to be printed. I had to changed their attributes in the layer they were created in, then move to the layer to be printed. That fixed that issue, but know when I export to PDF everything is real dim, any thoughts on that?
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Most likely line width(default means 1 pixel) and color setting.
You may also try to export to svg.

RobertRead wrote
Thanks for your response. I found the problem, the blocks were drawn in a layer that was not printed, then moved to a layer to be printed. I had to changed their attributes in the layer they were created in, then move to the layer to be printed. That fixed that issue, but know when I export to PDF everything is real dim, any thoughts on that?
Reply | Threaded
|

RobertRead
In reply to this post by RobertRead
And if I print PDF to paper there is nothing but some faint dots scatter over the page. I have changed attributes of all entities in the drawing to Color - Black/White, Line weight 0.35 and it change nothing.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
This could happen if you have set "General Scale" to 1 in Drawing Preferences and in Print Preview have "Apply Print Scale to line width" activated, with a print scale like 1:50, as I assume you have for a housing plan.

"General Scale" should be the reciprocal value of the intended print scale. "Apply Print Scale to line width" only makes sense if you want to print a drawing in a smaller scale than it was intended for, otherwise the lines will appear too thick.
Reply | Threaded
|

RobertRead
That was it, thanks! So if I'm scaling the drawings final output to 1:48 for 1/4"=1-Ft. what should General scale be set to? I changed it to o.1 and that appears to be ok, but is there something I'm missing in the print scaling that would correct this? Thank you again for your responses.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
For 1:48 General Scale should be 48, if you have drawn in real world dimensions, not already scaled (normal way).
Here is a sample file I have made a while ago where you may have a look at the settings: arch_inch_1_48_letter.dxf