Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD

Alok Kapoor
I am a new member of the forum. Recently I downloaded LibreCAD as an alternative to AutoCAD. I have Auttrue oCAD True View on my computer. I am unable to either convert the .dwg files to .dwf and even if I do, the AutoCAD True Viewer does not allow LibreCAD to open the file. What should I do?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Welcome Alok Kapoor,

from your statements it is not clear what your problem is. Can you clarify this please.

The DWG support in LibreCAD is marginal, there may be issues opening DWG files in LibreCAD.
Even if you can open a DWG file in LibreCAD you can save it only in DXF format.
DWF is a format not supported in LibreCAD.
True View is only a viewer, it doesn't convert formats or let you modify drawings as far as I know.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD

Alok Kapoor

Thanks a lot Armin. Is there a way I can convert the .dwg drawings in to DXF format?

Is there any other substitute for Autocad which can open .dwg files and allow editing and does not cost that much?

Thanks and Regards

Alok Kapoor

Sent: 02 May 2018 13:31
To: Alok Kapoor <[hidden email]>
Subject: Re: Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD

Welcome Alok Kapoor,

from your statements it is not clear what your problem is. Can you clarify this please.

The DWG support in LibreCAD is marginal, there may be issues opening DWG files in LibreCAD.
Even if you can open a DWG file in LibreCAD you can save it only in DXF format.
DWF is a format not supported in LibreCAD.
True View is only a viewer, it doesn't convert formats or let you modify drawings as far as I know.

Armin

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.librecad.org/Opening-autocad-drawings-in-LibreCAD-tp5715966p5715968.html

To unsubscribe from Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

RE: Opening autocad drawings in LibreCAD

dellus
To convert and then use LibreCAD, you may try the Teigha - file converter. Google for it. It seems they don't provide a free version anymore, but maybe it still works.
Or, as a full system, try Draftsight. It's not open source, but they provide a free version. It's more complex than LibreCAD. You can use it as a converter only by opening and saving again as dxf.
LibreCAD supports dxf only up to version 2007, to be safe also use ASCI type.
LibreCAD only supports 2-D drawings.
Reply | Threaded
|

demetrio
In reply to this post by Alok Kapoor
If you are not able to open autocad using LibreCAD, then you can go with Total CAD Converter tool introduced by COOLUTIL company. This tool is easy to use and if you are noob just like me, you can use their video tutorial to how to open autocad files using this tool.
Reply | Threaded
|

davecoventry
I notice that the version of libreCAD in the Ubuntu repo (which is 2.1.3) can open DWG files.

The version in github (libreCAD_3 - not sure where to find the version numbering) does not.
~Dave
Reply | Threaded
|

renatops
I have a libreCad version is 2.1.3, installed in a linux Mint, and it do not open a DWG file.  Do anyone knows how to solve the problem?
Reply | Threaded
|

aman
Welcome renatops!

Please read the whole thread!

Reply | Threaded
|

Lexy
In reply to this post by renatops
I used this website and ik worked, https://cloudconvert.com/dwg-to-dxf
Reply | Threaded
|

g16688
In reply to this post by Alok Kapoor
Hola a la comunidad. Doy mi pequeño granito de arena para los que tengan problemas con los archivos dwg. Lo que a mí más me funcionó es usar el conversor de oda desing y luego tienen una carpeta de entrada donde se encuentran los archivos que quieren convertir y una carpeta de salida con los archivos convertidos. Acá viene lo más importante y lo que me dió mayor compatibilidad con archivos dwg 2018 pasarlos a dxf r12 y no 2007. se ven perfectamente en ese formato en librecad. Espero que le sirva a alguien y ayude a ser libres de formatos y softwares para trabajar y estudiar. Saludos
Reply | Threaded
|

easydawg2024
Wow after tearing up the internet looking at ODA File Converter and everything else that did not work the Cloud Converter did the deed in less than one minute! No sign up or registration, just BAAM!

Thank you!

Ed Long
Linux Mint 21.2 Cinnamon Desktop
DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.6.1 | Speed Editor Keyboard
Mobo: Gigabyte: 990FXA-UD3
CPU: AMD FX-8350 64 bit
GPU: NVIDIA GeFORCE RTX 3050 | Drvr 535.129.03
(2) Crucial SSD 2TB