Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Opening saved .dxf file on OS X

ryancousins
I'm running LibreCAD 2.0.6 on a Macbook Pro running 10.10.1 Yosemite.

I apologize for creating a new thread on a previously created topic, however, all of the posts seem to be more than a year old and I don't see any definitive response such as "this is just how its going to be on the mac version of the program, so deal with it"

When I save a file under the dxf 2007 format, which is the latest option in the save dialog, and exit the program and double click on the file icon, LibreCAD opens, however, with a blank drawing file loaded. I haven't tried the other formats.

I remember this being an issue a year or two ago when I last tried the program on an older version of OS X, lion, perhaps.

Thanks for any help!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Opening saved .dxf file on OS X

LordOfBikes
Administrator
After some investigation, I'm sorry to say, that you've already found the answer to your question.
Deal with it, there are no better news.

As I understand, it isn't a problem of DXF version. It is a problem of how OS X opens files with associated application. On Windows and Linux the filename is passed as command line argument to LibreCAD when the DXF file is double-clicked. OS X has a completely different approach, it uses an open app which calls the associated app, but doesn't pass any arguments to it.

But, you will say, other applications can do this and you are right. The problems are, we don't have an OS X developer who possibly can solve this easy and we are limited in time resources, we all work in our spare time on LibreCAD.

I've created a feature request on sf.net to keep this in mind.

Until then the way for OS X is to use the LibreCAD file open menu.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

ryancousins
Thanks so much for the reply! Not a big deal but glad to know the reasoning behind it.

On Monday, January 5, 2015 5:56 AM, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] <[hidden email]> wrote:

After some investigation, I'm sorry to say, that you've already found the answer to your question.
Deal with it, there are no better news.

As I understand, it isn't a problem of DXF version. It is a problem of how OS X opens files with associated application. On Windows and Linux the filename is passed as command line argument to LibreCAD when the DXF file is double-clicked. OS X has a completely different approach, it uses an open app which calls the associated app, but doesn't pass any arguments to it.

But, you will say, other applications can do this and you are right. The problems are, we don't have an OS X developer who possibly can solve this easy and we are limited in time resources, we all work in our spare time on LibreCAD.

I've created a feature request on sf.net to keep this in mind.

Until then the way for OS X is to use the LibreCAD file open menu.

Armin

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
http://forum.librecad.org/Opening-saved-dxf-file-on-OS-X-tp5710913p5710915.html
To unsubscribe from Opening saved .dxf file on OS X, click here.
NAML

Reply | Threaded
|

Cantar4
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
I'm running LibreCAD 2.0.7 (06 Jan 2015) on a MacBook Air under 10.10.3 Yosemite ;
each time I try to reopen a DXF file stored in my Mac, Librecad immediatly quits.

Note: as suggested  by LordOfBikes I use the LibreCAD 'file open menu'.

Help !!
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
please test the latest builds:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/librecad/files/OSX/NightlyBuilds/

Cantar4 wrote
I'm running LibreCAD 2.0.7 (06 Jan 2015) on a MacBook Air under 10.10.3 Yosemite ;
each time I try to reopen a DXF file stored in my Mac, Librecad immediatly quits.

Note: as suggested  by LordOfBikes I use the LibreCAD 'file open menu'.

Help !!
Reply | Threaded
|

Cantar4
Thank you for your quick answer,

as you asked me to test it
I installed the latest  2015-06-01 build

but no succes.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cantar4
In reply to this post by dxli
installed the 2015 June 12 builds

some progress:
this version can internally convert a LbreCad made DXF to PDF without quitting
but still is unable to open DXF files from my desk.
Is this version made for Yosemite or Maverick only?
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
To open dxf files from osx finder:

Please try the latest nightly build. It's supported opening files by "drag&drop".

so:

0, install the latest LibreCAD nightly build;
1, launch LibreCAD;
2, launch finder;
3, drag your dxf file(s) from the finder window to the LibreCAD window.
Reply | Threaded
|

Cantar4
Thank you,

Thank you !
  I installed the June 13th builds, erased the former LibreCad preference plist, restarted the Mac,
  launched LibreCad, selected a dxf file in the finder and d&d it on the black working screen.
  This (or 'open file') made LibreCad immediatly quitt :(

I found a provisionnal shortcut: instead of trying to first open a file coming from the finder,
  I created a new file by drafting a line and a circle... then closing and saving it as 'untitled'.
  From this point on, the beast being awakened, it accepts to deal with any file either
  by 'open' or 'drag&drop'.

This trick lets me play with LibreCad on my Yosemited MacAir, I can now appreciate
  the PDF export which delivers a much better resolution than the one I get from iCadMac
  or eDrawings. And the user inteface (more logical and much clearer than DraftSight)
  is a pure pleasure.

There is still a problem, dimensions are all killed ; they are spread all over the place,
  arrows disappear, and figures (the few remaining) are replaced by 000.

How can I send you some files?                                           DXF         PDF
- ESCLR original ComputerVision's Designer                           294 kB
- ESCLR saved by LibreCad, no more dimensions, text is OK)  619 kB
- ESCLR saved by Draftsight w./updated Ascii 2013                544 kB
- ESCLR zoomed then saved by LibreCad                               500 kB
- esclr pdf export by LibreCad                                                               17 kB
- esclr pdf export by DraftSight                                                             29 kB