Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Paper Space - to create or not to create

Euller
Paper space, what do I need to know to create this tool?

Has any advanced user who already programs developed something on this topic?
Architect and urbanist
mechanic projectist
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Paper Space - to create or not to create

LordOfBikes
Administrator
From my knowledge, nobody works on this.

I'm aware of the feature requests and have a rough imagination what paper space and viewports are good for.
But I never needed them nor used them, because I never used AutoCAD.

From a developers point of view a detailed specification description would be a good starting point. I know there are lots of sources, where these AutoCAD features are explained, but for a developer, never used these features, it is tough to iterate all the sources, filter the needed information and draw the right conclusions.
So a description from users view, what is really needed, can possibly attract developers to have a look at it.

Then a developer has to elaborate, what the DXF reference tells us about paper space and viewports, that the implementation will be compatible with other software.
At least the question is, if the mature LibreCAD kernel concept has the interfaces to implement these features and how much efforts it will cost.

Armin
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Euller
This post was updated on .
Friend Armin,
In attached made a video showing the importance of the use the paper space in the architectural draw in de softwares of CAD.
Sory for my english, I'm no have people for practice.

https://app.box.com/s/yk5u3fix7ilnnxuo43c87dwwafw9cypd

The importance of having PAPER SPACE is high, as the entire drawing can be done on a single scale in MODEL SPACE, and only in paper space, we make the modifications to the scales that we need to insert in the VIEWPORTS that have been inserted.
Keeping Librecad as it currently is, we have to either scale the drawing, and with that, we will have multiple drawings of the same part in different sizes, or else we have to modify the size of the printing sheet format, so that it covers the drawings.
Even so, and especially in civil and architectural drawing and design, this will create many problems with the scales of each detail or piece that we draw.
Architect and urbanist
mechanic projectist
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Viewport itself might be easy to support, but the GUI and management would require some heavy implementation.

Euller wrote
Friend Armin,
In attached made a video showing the importance of the use the paper space in the architectural draw in de softwares of CAD.
Sory for my english, I'm no have people for practice.

https://app.box.com/s/yk5u3fix7ilnnxuo43c87dwwafw9cypd

The importance of having PAPER SPACE is high, as the entire drawing can be done on a single scale in MODEL SPACE, and only in paper space, we make the modifications to the scales that we need to insert in the VIEWPORTS that have been inserted.
Keeping Librecad as it currently is, we have to either scale the drawing, and with that, we will have multiple drawings of the same part in different sizes, or else we have to modify the size of the printing sheet format, so that it covers the drawings.
Even so, and especially in civil and architectural drawing and design, this will create many problems with the scales of each detail or piece that we draw.
Reply | Threaded
|

Euller
How to make?
Is there a colleague developing it?
I don't know anything about programming, to try to help, I would have to learn how to program...

Architect and urbanist
mechanic projectist
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
We are not a company. The project activities are like:

https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/activity

You can see that only a few of people working on it. Armin (lordofbikes), sand1024, and myself are frequent contributors.

We don't have a company behibd it, and we all have to do our day jobs. Just one reason to make it hard to start some complex projects which requires months of continuous work.

A little while ago, a professor in India encouraged his students to do LibreCAD development as course projects, and it helped our development.

It's also possible we can get into Google summer of code to have someone to work on this type of complex projects at full time base.

It helps if you can write documents on specifications of this feature, with detailed description of the GUI and user interaction model.  You may upload it here or create it GitHub.com. language is not an issue nowadays, so just write it in your native language. Whenever needed, we can ask the community to help, and many people have helped to translate this project.

We will continue to help our users at our best though.

Euller wrote
How to make?
Is there a colleague developing it?
I don't know anything about programming, to try to help, I would have to learn how to program...