Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Possible New User: Question About FastCAD/EasyCAD Files

Chips&Chips
I have been a long time user of EasyCAD and then FastCAD, dating back to the DOS days. So I have a great many files in the file formats that those programs used: FC7, .FCW, .DWG, .ECW, and possibly one or two more. Re-saving all of these files in a new format would be a lot of work and time.

Can LibreCAD open any or all of these file formats? If not, is there an easy way to convert them to a format that LibreCAD can use?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Possible New User: Question About FastCAD/EasyCAD Files

flywire
https://dokuwiki.librecad.org/doku.php/start

LibreCAD capabilities

* Partial support of Autodesk DWG format (importing only).
* Support of Autodesk DXF open format (import and export). It is LibreCAD main format.

Both of these are old versions of the format too. You can probably find software to convert lines fairly easily but symbology and layout are often converted poorly.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chips&Chips
"Symbology" and "layout". I'm not sure I understand what is meant by those terms. Could you expand on them?
Reply | Threaded
|

flywire
CAD symbology uses different thicknesses and patterns for lines, point features and text annotation. These can be lost in conversions. Similarly, certain layout features may not occur at the intended location, or at all.

Convert a few files and you will soon see the type of issues that occur.
Reply | Threaded
|

Chips&Chips
I see.

Thanks!