Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Saving files

Kyle
Worked on a file for quite a few hours, hit save because I was finished for the day and LibreCAD crashed.

Re-opened the file - nothing. All my work lost.

When saving write to a temporary file first, verify the write, delete the old, rename the temp to original (Like most other applications do).
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Saving files

Janno
I'm new to LibreCAD. Have been using AutoCAD LT sometimes.

LibreCAD (v.2.0beta) comes with an autosave-option (menubar/edit/preferences/default/program defaults/)
You can select the time between two autosavings. So, even in the event of a programm crash, your drawing has to be saved somewhere on your harddisk.

It would be nice if these automatically saved drawings would go to a user-defined location, so that auto back-ups from work-in-progress could be saved on any location, preferably not on the same computer/harddisk one is working on.

This could be achieved by adding this option in the path-settings.

I would not suggest to delete old savings automatically. Harddisks come cheap and with lots of room.

Doing so does give the option to return not just to the most recent auto-saved version of the drawing, but does also allow to go back further, if needed.

It also makes it possible that on the event of a crash of libreCAD the last autosaved version f the drawing is stored somewhere where it always can be found.

Eventually as: "Save the last X versions of this drawing", where X = 1 is the default option, which can be changed by the user.