Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snap Aperture Size?

Dutchtower
Hi, After 30+ years with AutoCAD, I have retired and am learning LibreCAD. I have a snap question. In AutoCAD, the user can set the aperture size for snapping. In other words, how close you need to be to snap to, say an endpoint. It seems that LibreCAD wants to snap to the closest endpoint regardless of how far away I am. Is there a way to set the snap aperture or window or do I have to just turn off the snaps if I don't want to snap all the time? Thanks in advance.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snap Aperture Size?

aman
Welcome! At the bottom of the main screen are snap options, seems you have only end-point snap enabled.

I have learnt to use one or two snaps at once, to get right results.

And at the main page of forum are links to howtos and FAQ. I can also recommended a free book, Johny Heikell's LibreCAD for  Real Dummies. Just google the book's name, easy to find
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by Dutchtower
You cannot set the aperture size in LibreCAD, nor is there a frame indicating it.
You have to enable Free Snap, the dotted cross icon, additionally to other snaps, to be able to move the cursor freely on the screen.
I have once suggested to drop that icon and have this feature on simply permanently. But there were voices against it saying forced snap would provide more accuracy. As an experienced AutoCAD user, what is your opinion on this?
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Enabling grid snapping also helps.

Enabling snapping radius is good for performance, if you have spatial indexing trees for our snapping candidates.

Currently, we have to do a linear search through all candidates (with the exception of Free or Grid).

What we should do:

1, introducing topological entities of vertices (say, tangent points:
https://github.com/LibreCAD/LibreCAD/issues/523
2, introducing of spatial indexing trees(quad/k2d/R-tree), to search vertices for snapping (of course, with the exception of Free or Grid).

Step 2 is needed, if we are moving to support millions or more snapping candidates.

dellus wrote
You cannot set the aperture size in LibreCAD, nor is there a frame indicating it.
You have to enable Free Snap, the dotted cross icon, additionally to other snaps, to be able to move the cursor freely on the screen.
I have once suggested to drop that icon and have this feature on simply permanently. But there were voices against it saying forced snap would provide more accuracy. As an experienced AutoCAD user, what is your opinion on this?