Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tools Not working

Ned Kelly
A new Librecad user. there is probably a simple answer. However I cant get the trim or parallel tool to work. After pressing the tool required it asks for distance, which I enter, then click on line to paralllel, but it does not turn grey or do anything, same for trim, line does not turn grey. I can copy line and move instead of parallel, this works OK. Maybe I am doing something wrong. Help please.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tools Not working

LordOfBikes
Administrator
Concerning parallel, where do you enter the distance? In the command line?
When you activate the Parallel tool, there is an input box in the tool option bar, above the drawing area.
This is the place to enter the distance for the parallel line.
No need to select any entity then, by moving the mouse you should get a preview when the mouse pointer is near to any object.
When the preview is OK, left click to place the parallel entity.

Concerning trimming, there is a recent thread, maybe you have a similar issue?
https://forum.librecad.org/trim-command-tp5717948.html
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Ned Kelly

Thank you, LordOfBikes, for your response, unfortunately I had found the space in the option bar for the offset distance,and entered many different numbers to try but the pointer does not have any effect when moved over any line I want to offset. It just seems to be a quirk for any item that needs selection by this method. Of course it may be my system, who knows. I have been using Autocad for a number of years then moved to Intellicad about 10 years ago, now looking for a cad for Linux computer. Thanks again for your thoughts.

On 15/11/19 7:09 pm, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] wrote:
Concerning parallel, where do you enter the distance? In the command line?
When you activate the Parallel tool, there is an input box in the tool option bar, above the drawing area.
This is the place to enter the distance for the parallel line.
No need to select any entity then, by moving the mouse you should get a preview when the mouse pointer is near to any object.
When the preview is OK, left click to place the parallel entity.

Concerning trimming, there is a recent thread, maybe you have a similar issue?
https://forum.librecad.org/trim-command-tp5717948.html

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:
https://forum.librecad.org/Tools-Not-working-tp5717969p5717972.html
To unsubscribe from Tools Not working, click here.
NAML
Reply | Threaded
|

LordOfBikes
Administrator
When you have entered the distance correct, I see two more possibilities.
1. color schema
Have you changed the appearance of LibreCAD? Maybe, like in the before linked trimming thread, that the preview is there, but invisible because of changed colors.
2. relation between drawing or zoom factor and distance
Depending on the drawing scale or zoom factor the distance could be too small or big, so that the preview is not visible because it is off screen or on top of the reference entity.
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution
Reply | Threaded
|

Ned Kelly

Hello LordOfBikes, many thanks again for your efforts to fix issue. I deleted the whole program and restarted computer and again downloaded program.

I ensured colours were set right, changed them around to be clear it was not the issue, also had square made 100 units then off set 50 units... Nothing.

I see from the tutorials what is supposed to happen with the line, etc moving with the cursor waiting for input as to what side to be placed. But... nothing, including all efforts to trim.

The other choice for me is QCad, which is a derivative of LibreCad, I think.

I am sure there is some glitch, I even thought it may be something to do with snapping, but this proved to nothing of effect.

Appreciate your time and effort, if you think of any more options please let me know, but am thinking of moving on. Cheers

On 16/11/19 8:28 pm, LordOfBikes [via LibreCAD] wrote:
Have you changed the appearance of LibreCAD? Maybe, like in the before linked trimming thread, that the preview is there, but invisible because of changed colors.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
While trying to reproduce your problem, I have encountered linetype "No Pen". You can draw with it, the drawn entities exist, as they are shown when selected (Select all), but are otherwise not visible, not even as placement preview. If your linetype is "By Layer", still in layer properties "No Pen"could be set. Unlikely this all could happen accidentally, but who knows.
Could also be other layer issues. When you do a copy (what works for you), it normally stays on the origin layer, and also keeps the pen properties. Parallel line produces a new entity with present properties. On a different layer? Locked? Set invisible?
As you are experienced with CAD one would expect you will see these things. But sometimes one misses obvious things. Can you arrange someone else with CAD experience to have a look on it? Sometimes an other person recognizes something at first glance where one self is blind to.
You could provide here a sample drawing file with that 100x100 square, and a screenshot of your whole screen, maybe also of the application color preferences. Perhaps someone will see the reason.  
Reply | Threaded
|

jpiatt@vt.edu
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by LordOfBikes
Sorry to drag this thread up from the depths, but I am having the same problem with LibreCAD.  I just recently installed it and haven't messed with the settings too much, and I have only been working with a couple of very simple drawings.  I made a video of my experience:
https://youtu.be/r4BzglipOzY

Edit to say system is Windows 10 64 bit w/ 16 GB RAM.