classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Trim command

Bryon
Hi.
Unable to trim a section of, for example a line.
Prompt is; select first limiting entry. I select it.
Next prompt is; select second limiting entry.
When I try to select the second limiting entry Libre de-selects the first limiting entry.
There should be a way to do this if I'm getting the above prompts, yes?
thanks for any thoughts.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trim command

snowforest
There are 2 trim commands. One is trim, other is trim two. I think you are talking about trim two. Since I started using librecad 2 months ago, trim command was always enough for me, I didnt even bother to try trim two. But now since you asked I tried it.

First lets explain trim command. You select a limiting entity (lets say line A) and then you select the entity you want to trim , line B (they must be intersecting lines, in other words, not parallel). This way you trim only one entity, which is line B, and only upto line A. Straightforward.

Trim two, as I just checked, apparently there to make things faster and lets you trim line A and B at once. So you select line A, and then you select line B, and it trims the portions of A and B they you DIDN'T select, with respect to intersection point. Less straightforward, but still easy, and faster, if you want to trim two lines (with trim command you needed to perform the command twice for trimming both).
Reply | Threaded
|

Trim two

Bryon
When attempting to trim using two entities the first entity is selected correctly. The next prompt is to select the second trim entity. When I do, both entities lengthen to a point where they connect and are de selected.
So far I've only been able to trim using one entity.
Bottom line ?; Does Librecad suggest a process is possible that is not?
thanks in advance.
Bryon
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Trim two

LordOfBikes
Administrator
@Bryon, this is the intended behavior of the Trim two command.
Both entities are modified (lengthened or cut) to their intersection.
In opposite to the single Trim command, which leaves the first entity untouched and only modifies the second one.

As I already wrote here, LibreCAD has no tool to trim a section in the middle of a line/arc. My workaround is also mentioned there.

See also https://librecad.readthedocs.io/en/latest/ref/tools.html?highlight=trim#modify
investing less than half an hour into Search function can save hours or days of waiting for a solution