Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Using LibreCad as newbie

Masa
I've been using Autocad since 1985 and I think it's logically done. Nowadays I use the 2007 version because I don't need anything but the 2D version. When moving from the Windows operating system to Linux, I need a new CAD program because AutoCad does not exist for Linux and I think the only alternative is LibreCad. But but but...... Where is the logic of Librecad??? Even the printing is absolutely amazing. Have I been using AutoCad for too long that I can't even switch to LibreCad? Dear LibreCad developers, please tell me why the threshold of switching to LibreCad is really difficult. I don't want to read the libreCad manual all the way through. Only the parts that are mandatory to read. Most of the cads that I have used in the Windows world have been so logical that I have not needed a manual to start using them. Why is LibreCad made so difficult? Is it done completely without a plan?
asks Masa
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Using LibreCad as newbie

aman
I'm not a dev, would like to, another story....

Reading the manual is at least for me the best way to get started when staring to learn something new. Notice there are also howtos and fag, Links are at the top of the main page.

Hardest often is unlearning something you have used for a long time.

Reply | Threaded
|

Masa
I'm not a complete beginner because I got my first computer in 1979 and started studying it. The question is whether LibreCad is a developed program or is it just a pipe dream. And it follows that it is worth learning to use it or not. Unfortunately, there aren't many Cad programs for Linux that you can even think of. Most of the Cad programs work in the same way. So no need to read manuals. But if some functions in the program deviate from their logic so much that years of experience are not enough to understand the functionality, then wouldn't it be the developers' place to look in the mirror????
Reply | Threaded
|

aman
In reply to this post by Masa
Well, the easy solution would be buy again windows and AutoCad.

How much did you pay for your Linux distribution or LibreCad? They both are mostly because developers have spent their free time do develop these foss products.

I have been using only linux for almost 30 years now, and said this many times, now again: I think it is great that there is at least one decent cad for linux, that is LibreCAD. Me and many other use it happily, it has certain limitations as almost any foss program because most of them suffer from absence of enough developers.

I think it would more fruitful for you to tell a little more accurate what is your problem, than repeating LibreCAD has been done without a plan.

Reply | Threaded
|

Masa
That's an easy answer: printing; why is it scattered throughout the Cad program and not clearly in one place
Reply | Threaded
|

aman
In reply to this post by Masa
Fair enough. Printing is one topic on the faq, you can also search messages.

If you don't want to read manuals, I can still suggest Librecad for Dummies. Altough the author expressed a bit too much his own opinions, still I found many good hints, while I had been using LibreCad for years. You can skim the relevant pages. The book is not actual Dummies series, you can download it for freee

And I always select Print preview before printing, you can do much adjustment there too.