Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

area information

sungam
Hi, Is there a way to calculate the area of a closed polyline?
I can only find the 'polygonal area' tool which, as far as I can see, requires you to draw a new closed polyline each time. But I want to be able to click on shapes / areas I have already drawn and find out the areas (square metres), without have to effectively trace over them again.
Can anyone help me? Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: area information

dellus
If you do a hatching on a closed polyline the hatching area is given in the command line.
Reply | Threaded
|

sungam
Thank you very much. That is certainly useful!
By the way I am quite perplexed that it is not easier to calculate areas on LibreCAD. Being able to quantify the spaces that you are drawing is an essential part of architectural and urban planning work.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
Hi sungam,

Don't be perplexed.  LiberCAD is an open source program written by volunteers.  It is free and as such does not have all the bells and whistles found in commercial packages.  I am neither an architect nor an urban planner and rarely need to know the area of any shape.  While having the ability to measure space would be a good feature, it may be that there just isn't enough demand for it from the general community.

Anyway, welcome to LiberCAD and the forum.
Reply | Threaded
|

Philip
In reply to this post by sungam
Hi again sungam,

I did some looking and there is a way to easily find the area of a polygon.

Select Tools/Info/Polygonal Area.  Then select the points of the polygon and the total area will be given.  I am using version 2.2.0-rc1-31-gac524db on Linux Mint.