Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

librecad in mint19

bjmh1
For a couple of years I ran the Librecad appimage (LibreCAD-2.1.1+20170111.426.glibc2.14-x86_64) on mint 18.3. A couple of months ago I upgraded to mint 19.3 and continued to use the same appimage.  Well, today was my first need to print a drawing, and the application crashed. It consistently immediately shut down as soon as I issued the print command either via menu, or icon.  I then tried to export a pdf, figuring I could print that.  Same problem--immediate shutdown as soon as I hit save in the dialog box.  These functions all worked well in mint 18.3 so I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this, or better still, has something to try!

The reason I'm using the appimage in mint 19.3, is that version 2.1.2 in the repos has a bug when using shift2 to get the @ to invoke local coordinates--something I do constantly while drawing. I did find a workaround for this but it's clumsy.  I hit 2, then backspace, then shift 2 and then I get the @. Simply hitting shift 2, results in no output on the command line.  The workaround is not persistent, and has to be used each time I want to use local coordinates.  As far as I've seen, the rest of the application works very well, with no problem printing or exporting to pdf.  Guess I could draw in the appimage, and plot from the repo version.  Any solutions out there?

BTW, these problems occur on multiple machines. (thinkpads and latitudes).  Also have a load of mint 20, and it's version of librecad is 2.1.3, and it seems to work perfectly! Just not ready to upgrade to 20 yet.

Also, I know this is the wrong forum, but let me introduce myself:
I'm Bob, a retired mechanical engineer, with CAD experience starting in 1979 with computervision cadds 3. When I retired, I was using Autocad 2004, and Solid Edge. So about 30 years CAD work experience with several different 2d systems including several versions of autocad.  I retired in 2008. After switching to Linux completely in 2009 I used Draftsight for a few years, then when Dassault pulled the free linux version, I switched to Librecad--and I sincerely thank the developers!

Regards
Bob
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: librecad in mint19

irwinger
I have absolutely NOTHING to offer you Bob by way of answers - but I just resonated with your CAD experience... I was doing Electronic PCB Artwork Design as well as Schematic diagrams in 1979 on a very buggy and restrictive 'no name' CAD system. I've migrated through various PC based PCB / schematic software, used AutoSketch for DOS (my personal favorite), an early version of TurboCAD and most recently LibreCAD, FreeCAD, and Fusion360. It's been a 'voyage of adventure' and when I think back of it all... I just feel OLD. So I keep learning to avoid becoming outdated (I'm long out of the 'drafting' world except for personal hobby).

The biggest difference is... you retired in 2008 and I'm still looking forward to that day... 3 years and 10 months to official full retirement age - but maybe, just MAYBE once my wife's health issues are covered under Medicare, I can stop early. Meanwhile - I work for healthcare... sigh.

Arden