Beginner problems in drawing line/rectangle etc.

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Beginner problems in drawing line/rectangle etc.

mglacy
Greetings,

I'm (obviously) new to LibreCad, so I have some basic misunderstandings in drawing simple objects with which I need help.  My previous experience in CAD was with the old Draft Choice program, so I'm presuming I have some holdover misconceptions.  

Here's one problem: In trying to draw (say) a rectangle using the menu, I left click on the drawing to specify the first corner, and then move the cursor up and to the right and left click  to indicate the second corner, but what I get is a horizontal line, not a rectangle.  When I try to enter the second corner in the command line, as (say) 10,10 I get a rectangle, but not a square and not one with a corner up and to the right from where I started.  

I presume I had some problem with the grid snap setting, so I was looking at an item in the online user's manual that said "Select snap from the top menu then select snap on grid."  I hoped to change some snap setting, but there was no word "snap" on my top menu (version 2.1.3), so I was at a lost of where to go.  I'm not much of an icon person, but when I hovered over various icons, I still did not seem to find what I needed.

Also, in a possibly related matter, is there a way to specify on the command line what I am accustomed to calling "relative coordinates?"  That is, I might like to specify the first point of a line by clicking on an origin point,  and then specifying the next point as (say) "down and to the right" with the coordinates -20,10.

I presume these kind of issues are covered in the documentation, but I apparently don't have the right vocabulary to search for the things I need there.  Also, I get the impression that my menu is different than that specified in the documentation at
http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/LibreCAD_users_Manual#Coordinates, since some items referenced there appear different than in my 2.1.3 version of LibreCad, which is a further difficulty for me.

Thanks, Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Beginner problems in drawing line/rectangle etc.

dellus
Snap settings now are by default at the left bottom.

Relative coordinates are defined by preceeding '@', for instance @10,10.