Converting DraftSight file to LibreCAD file (DWG to DXF)

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Converting DraftSight file to LibreCAD file (DWG to DXF)

fa201
This post was updated on .
Hello,

I had a few drawings in DraftSight DWG format to transfer into DXF format before DraftSight free version ends (December 2019). I am using Xubuntu 64 bits and LibreCAD 2.2.0 alpha in case this information is relevant to someone.

I proceeded as following :

1/ In draftsight 2018 :
a/ Reset the thickness of line to the default value (through property menu) as they appear with thicker lines in LibreCAD after importing.
b/ Remove all drawings used for printing in the sheets as they will be transferred in design space (there is no such sheet concept in LibreCAD).

2/ Save the file in DraftSight into 2013 DXF ASCII format.

3/ Import in LibreCAD. The unit system needs to be specified in LibreCAD.

My issue : update text annotations since there little translation issues regarding useless brackets and position shift.

Note : I did not try 2 other solutions :
-  LibreDWG requires building from source code.
- opendesign converter.

Feel free to share any better method. I guess the end of DraftSight free version will get more LibreCAD users possibly asking how to convert.

Fabrice.
Fabrice

French hobbyist interested in 2D design.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Converting DraftSight file to LibreCAD file (DWG to DXF)

Kram
The only reason I ever had Draftsite was to use the "clean" option because of the file sizes when finished designing in LibreCAD.

Recently I went to 64 bit, had to reinstall everything, and went to grab Draftsite and it was a hassle, so I grabbed CADstd purely for 'cleaning' my LibreCAD files via importing and immediately exporting, works a treat..

I do wish LibreCAD was self-cleaning though, but not complaing with the performance it gives me otherwise..