Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Create circle, tangent line, thru point, given radius

ratsmack
Not new to CAD having used Catia, Solidworks and Unigraphics... but I cannot figure out how to create a circle that is tangent to a line, through a point with a specified radius.

I could trig it out and put construction geometry on the screen, but it seems to me that this should be a basic function. What am I missing?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Create circle, tangent line, thru point, given radius

dellus
There is no dedicated tool for this.
But you can use Circle - Two Points, Radius. Set Snap on Entity, click on the line at a place where there is no intersection for the first point, and take the same spot for the second point. Set the radius in the Tool Options bar above the drawing screen. You have to aim at a free spot on the line, if you choose an intersection or endpoint, the circle will be docked at a quadrant point and not be tangent.
After created you can move the circle with Snap Intersection grabbed at the tangent point to the really desired position.  
Reply | Threaded
|

ratsmack
 Thanks for the response... but that is seriously non-intuitive for such a basic function found in most other CAD systems. A point is essentially a circle with a zero radius, so the "Tangential, 2 Circle, Radius" function would be very close to this and I would think it would be easy to implement.

Using the "Tangential, 2 Circle, Radius" function and creating a circle with a .000001 radius instead of a point is much easier and would be close enough for most purposes.

I would put a suggestion in, but I'm not sure which forum is the one to use.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratsmack
In reply to this post by dellus
I might also note that the point I referred to in my initial post is not located on the line, but at a distance away from the line. I think the description you gave me was for a point being coincident with the line.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
Yes, I have misunderstood your question. Sorry.
You may make a feature request at Suggestions & Feedback or at Github.
Reply | Threaded
|

dellus
In reply to this post by ratsmack
I have just found out, for your proposal to use Tangential, 2 Circles, Radius, you can use radius 0 for the second circle as point substitute, works!
Reply | Threaded
|

ratsmack
Thanks... I just assumed that you couldn't make a circle with a zero radius. That is a good work around, but still non-intuitive, so I will make a suggestion in the Suggestions & Feedback sub-forum.