First Steps and Structure - The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition

Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

First Steps and Structure - The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition

joseph
This post was updated on .
For the first steps, I am going to define input parameter, and in general start slow with good procedures. Secondly, I would like to get an idea on the best structure to follow with regards to how the code is entered. In particular,I am wondering if the package should be structured as a plugin. This, I feel, are the basics of getting started. Please comment and criticize. As for the team, it obtained the commitment of one member today. A programmer that I have worked with in the passed. Joe
Reply | Threaded
|

The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition

joseph

" The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition "

This book is by the developer of COGO at MIT during the '50's through the 70's.

I hope for it to work as a guide as we move forward on the COGO portion of LibreCAD

I expect to receive a copy by the end of this week

Joe O'Connor
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition

joseph

To All;

I have received additional commitments to assist with a Survey Package.

In particular, a Dr Steve Spicklemire at the University of Indianapolis, my Alma Mater.  He will assist in making it a strudent project or perhaps a joint effort between U of Indy and Purdue University of Indianapolis.  Those two university share student perusing computer engineering degrees.

The team is being built.

Thanks,
Joe O'Connor
MNH
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Cogo Book. Fundamentals, Conventions, & Standards of Coordinate Geometry for Civil Engineers and Surveyors. 1990 Edition

MNH
Hello Joe,

I envision the COGO package as being suitable for both office and field use. A great COGO package must have a great file system. COGO functions should not overburdened with input parameters. Just something clean and simple. Do you envision a standalone COGO package, or will it be integrated with LibreCAD drafting functions? Or both?

Regards,

Mark
Reply | Threaded
|

joseph

I also believe having field functionality is very important.  I also agree as to the file system.  The COGO Book, which I will make copies of, goes into that.   And I agree the input parameters are primary, for ease and speed.  Your last question I would bow to Dr. Li.  

Best Wishes,
Joe
Reply | Threaded
|

joseph

"The COGO Book" has arrived.  Ii states the intended audiences include:

*** "Programmers and software developers seeking to be compatible with the standards and conventions of modern cogo."

It is a 340 +/- pages.  It provides a detailed list of commands, and parameters for this COGO system, constantly stating that the Cogo Database is its unifying element.

If you wish to be involved in a COGO program project I will do my best to get a PDF copy of the book to you.  

Contact me and let me know.

Joe O'Connor

Reply | Threaded
|

Alvaro
About the question as to whether it should be implemented as stand alone or as an extension to LibreCAD, I say, Let's do both. Furthermore, may I suggest that we also port it to Android for field Engineers ( I mean the standalone version).

I have this wild idea going on in my head since last year of "marrying" QGIS and LibreCAD. For instance, let's use shp file for COGO instead of dxf. By doing so, we'll have access to all the geometric, analytical and database management  functions the QGIS Library can offer.
Reply | Threaded
|

dxli
Qt supports android pretty well.

If we implement GUI in Qt, we should have the program on Desktop as well as on mobile

Alvaro wrote
About the question as to whether it should be implemented as stand alone or as an extension to LibreCAD, I say, Let's do both. Furthermore, may I suggest that we also port it to Android for field Engineers ( I mean the standalone version).

I have this wild idea going on in my head since last year of "marrying" QGIS and LibreCAD. For instance, let's use shp file for COGO instead of dxf. By doing so, we'll have access to all the geometric, analytical and database management  functions the QGIS Library can offer.
Reply | Threaded
|

joseph

I have the beginnings of the COGO Book on my FTP site.

host name:  projectphoenix-pbc.com

UserName:  user

Password:  Jcoc1952

I will have a more professional copy up there in about a week. I am very busy moving.

Joe O'Connor
Reply | Threaded
|

nysdot surveyor
Joseph,

I work for a State DOT in the ROW Mapping and Survey units.  I was doing one of my occasional searches for someone that may be possibly developing the next generation Coordinate Geometry software.  This link popped up.  I have a running conversation in my e-mail with a west coast CAD trainer where we are teasing each other about just this topic.  He saw something demoed long ago and I would not leave him alone about it.  Bohanna Houston supposedly wrote another cogo package I have not seen and Colorado DOT has there own product available for download with a user doc .pdf.  I have not loaded or looked at yet.  My shop is currently Bentley MicroStation, InRoads, ISurvey, CogoWorks, Leica VivaWorks, ...etc.  I was here when Cad first came in the door and now have just over 30 years in.

We have used CLM Cogo, Charles L Miller's baby, for a long time...late 80s to early 90s start.  It eventually was shelved do to OS issues.  We still have his book you mention, orig manuals and software CDs.  I'm not sure if the hardware locks are in a box somewhere or not.  MIT had a great Prof those years!!  My dad just missed Charlie's materials being through Northeastern U civil co-op program by then.

If you write an updated version of Charlie's masterpiece you will have the civil engineering customers beating a path to your door.  Anyone with over 15 years in any firm/agency knows the CLM name and the cogo.  There has been no suitable replacement to date....none.

I wish you all the best in your quest and if I can be of any assistance with old materials I'll try to do my best without costing me my ride.  I'm not sure if it can be considered open source now or not.

God Speed......God Speed.

ps.  I'm a crunchbang linux user at home which came with LibreOffce rolled in.  Great app.  Linux rocks.  Some of my past cad system management duties using red hat then made the switch easy.
Reply | Threaded
|

joseph
Dear nysdot_surveyor;

It was great to hear from you and your experience with CEAL COGO.  I am moving forward with the idea with the hopes the college i attended, University of Indianapolis will be interested in maintaining the code, should be able to work something out, I am currently in contact with them.

I have a ftp site of
ftp://projectphoenix-pbc.com
User name:  cogo
password :  miller

There is the first 150 pages of the COGO Book.

I will drop a note here from time to time regarding progress.