classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
2 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Gsoc 2014 Introduction

pandrei
Hello!

I'm Andrei, a 4th year undergraduate student at Univ. Polytechnic of Bucharest, Computer Science dept. I live in Bucharest, Romania. When I'm not coding, I'm playing basketball or video games, or simply hanging out with my friends. My IRC handle is andrei_ (with one or more _)

I've successfully participated in GSoC 2012 with BRL-CAD on a project called libpkg extensions. On short, I had to performance test, improve then test again the brlcad networking library. I was completely new to open source and development back then. After that, I've been working as a linux kernel developer(not upstream tho). I'm mostly familiar with low level development(kernel, compilers, C is my strongest language) and with Java as an OOP/application development language.

This might sound cheesy but I'm really excited about one of your projects, specifically (LibreCAD 3 kickoff - kernel part) because it involves developing/creating something, which I  believe it's rare at GSoC.  I would have to pick up C++ and Boost to a decent level for this project, but as I said, I really am willing to put in the work. I would also benefit from others' experience learning how to design an application, as I doubt I can build a feasible design all by myself.

Taking a look at this : http://wiki.librecad.org/index.php/LibreCAD_3_kickoff I took a guess that an entity can be implemented without having any dependencies so I would want to implement a simple/sketch version of "text" entity these days. The reason I wish to code some simple parts is to convince you guys(and myself :) ) that I am actually able to achieve this, from the technical skillset point of view.

Sorry for the wall of text,
Andrei
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Gsoc 2014 Introduction

R. van Twisk
Administrator
hello Andrei,

welcome to GSoC 2014. It's good to see student's here! We spoke briefly on the IRC channel.

Hope we can help each other out and kickstart LC3